Gas bottle fire/stove

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
I was thinking of getting a frontier stove - mostly for use in the backyard, just so I can have a fire, boil a kettle etc.

Wife voiced opinion that if we are to have a burning thing, she prefers something more like a open fire, that can be looked at.

So we browsed various listings of fire baskets (look dangerous to me, too much chance of sticks and coals falling through) and iron chimeneas.

Then it hit me: I have 4 empty gas cylinders, a welder, grinder etc. And various lengths of 100mm stainless flue pipe. Make my own.

After thinking about it for a bit, I'm contemplating a half-stove, half fire bowl thing.

Slice gas cylinder in half vertically.

Turn on side. Weld slab of 4mm steel across half of gas cylinder. Cut hole in slab and weld stub for a flue pipe.

The idea is that a fire could be started in the open half, and built up into the semi-enclosed bit. Once the chimney and flat plate warmed up, they'd draw most of the smoke and flame in that direction. With a bed of hot coals and ashes, it could be used like a bbq, and the flat plate for a kettle and other cooking.

What do you think?

TREETOP

Forager
Mar 29, 2010
Here wishing i was out there
I made a small one out of a gas bottle a while back with a bit of work they can be made to work very well at little to no cost :)

Check this one out very good idea and as you have four bottles going spare may be woth a go![video]http://youtu.be/fjoZEI7db3c[/video]

Last edited:

Silverhill

Maker
Apr 4, 2010
Derbyshire
Nenook's your man! He makes gas-bottle stoves and whatnot quite regularly and should be able to give you some pointers if you ask nicely!:)

Maintaining a good draft (draught) is the key thing to consider. If you make it too easy for exhaust gases to bypass the flue and exit via the air intake/front then you'll experience problems with smoke and the fire may become stifled. It's all about balance/height and diameters, but is easy enough to sort out.

If you take a 15kg gas bottle stood 'normally' upright (degassed and inert with the valve and shroud removed) and cut a hole the width of the bottle, and from the base to the halfway weld and then cut out a hole and attach your flue to the area where the valve once was..........You'd have a very simple chiminea!

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
hmm. The draft thing does need thinking about.

Wife would like a fire that people sit around and look into. I would like something that you can cook over and doesn't spew smoke in people's eyes. I guess that is a chimenea.

Now if I could make a plate that swung into the 'chimenea', and a door that could be closed - it would work as both. Build up fire, let burn down to coals, swing in plate, close door, let it get hot, then pizza time.

TrickyT

Tenderfoot
Nov 14, 2009
UK
Have to agree with the Ozpig, had mine since November and have fired it up most weekends. It might seem expensive, but by the time I had got all of the kit to try and build something, I personally thought it was worth it.

Great for boiling a kettle on and combine it with a Dutch Oven and you can cook most things.

Regards

Trevor

Silverhill

Maker
Apr 4, 2010
Derbyshire
hmm. The draft thing does need thinking about.

Wife would like a fire that people sit around and look into. I would like something that you can cook over and doesn't spew smoke in people's eyes. I guess that is a chimenea.

Now if I could make a plate that swung into the 'chimenea', and a door that could be closed - it would work as both. Build up fire, let burn down to coals, swing in plate, close door, let it get hot, then pizza time.

This what I've got MrCharly:

http://www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wc...9&c_1=1|category_root|Outdoor+Living|14047043

I've had it coming up to two years, it's lasted well and kicks out such an intense heat it's quite unbelievable! It's faster than our gas barbecue once up to heat (15mins) and will cook a sausage through to the middle without burning the outer in a couple of minutes. I'd recommend it for making charcloth too.:campfire:

No connection other than a satisfied customer etc.

Silverhill

Maker
Apr 4, 2010
Derbyshire
From the bottom, you have a two piece (two semicircles) grate which rests just above the air vent at the base. Above this grate, about 4-5", you have a circular cast grille that is attached via a pivot on the far left hand side. The grille opens to the left, while the door opens to the right.

In my yard, I use the inside drum of an old washing machine. The metal tub is enamel covered to prevent rust and actually looks pretty good when clean. I have some 16guage welded wire screen bent to fit over the top which works great for cooking, and I also have some 20mmx3mm metal bars that I can use to simply prop a kettle on. The guy who first introduced me to the idea had welded feet on his, and attached a stove pipe to a metal lid from a 55 gallon drum to use in a smaller yard than mine.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE