garage wood burner advice with draw, Extractor?

BILLy

Apr 16, 2005
NORTH WALES
Hi All
After some help and advice please guys, I am putting a wood burner in the man cave and was wondering will i get enought draw from the chimney pipe, and if not what about putting an in line air extractor in, that would create the draw but finding a 4" metal one that would take the heat is hard to find, also ill put a inline damper to give me better burn control, has anyone had any joy with an extractor? and any idears what type to use, ive searched the net but not sure im using the correct words for them
Cheers
Bill

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I run a Harman PP38+ compressed wood pellet stove to heat my entire, 2-storey home in our mountain winters.
Three motors: heat exchange blower, pellet feed auger and the exhaust blower. Unless you can go off the grid in a
power failure, any motor exhaust blower at all and you have a problem.

The simple and economical fix is a passive cold/outdoor air feed for the fire.
The hidden advantage is that the wood burner fire box needs make-up air for what will adequately go up the chimney.
You can either supply that or your burner will suck cold air through every nook and cranny and crack in you man-cave that you never knew existed.
Carbon monoxide is also a risk with an air-starved fire.

I have a simple 2" plastic pipe duct to the fire air intake port.
The direct result is that the room air temperatures at/near floor level are 7-10F warmer than without that.
Yeah, my home isn't air-tight by a long shot. But the Harman isn't sucking draughts through the cracks any more.

Air is an issue for me as I expect to burn 10,000 lbs = 5 tons between late October and April/May.
Already, we got a dump of 36-44" snow in 36hrs then -20F or colder nights for a week.

Either side of that, spot heating gets done with my oil-fired central heating system at 2X the cost.

BILLy

Apr 16, 2005
NORTH WALES
There`s some very good advice there Robon thank you, I will set it up with out one to begin with, and the duct air intake suply is a cracking idea, that way it doesnt use all the free air in the cave, sounds like youve got a good set up and need it by the sounds of it.
Thanks again
Bill

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
You're most welcome, Bill. I've run the Harman for about 10 years and could not be happier.
I gambled that oil prices would never go down, although they did this year.
The direct result was that the pellet stove paid for it's capital cost in the first 3 winters that I ran it.
That's approx $3,000.00 or more.
Next, I assembled a solar cell/batteries/inverter which can drive the stove (500W) for 8+ hrs.
That recent cold spell? We had 5 power failures 1-4 hrs each in the cold. I was OK.
The fuel cost savings paid for the back-up power system cost over the next 2 winters.

My home is 2 x 1200 sqft. The hot air from the stove rises up the front stairwell.
At the far end of a far back bedroom, there's a 5W x 12VDC computer fan to pump floor level air back
down stairs (into my work shop). That relieves the back pressure so the warm/hot air flow continues up the front.

You have to feed your wood burner two things: wood & air.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE