Game shooting protects wildlife?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Re 2. above

Magpies are corvids and prey on songbirds.
No evidence that pheasant population would increase and can an annually imported battery reared captive released species really be called a population anyway?

franglais

Tenderfoot
Jun 4, 2013
France
Land management for hunting is complicated, for example when partridge shooting fell out of favour numbers went in to decline, but often shoots are managed with a mono ecological outlook that does not favour native species, although without the shoots land would be turned over to agriculture which is worse. Bio diversity is the key, reaching a point where any management of the eco system is limited. I have to disagree about hunters in France, I live in area known as the land of a thousand lakes, but due to the French attitude of if moves kill it and eat it wildfowl are a rarity outside of reserves, you can see more in the average British town, rabbits and wood pigeon are also uncommon, most of the hunters are drunken rednecks who have no interest in conservation, and around here most of the woodland is owned by farmers as a sorce of firewood and shade for their beasts. My own woods are managed with bio diversity as the main goal, but due to the law in France anyone can send their dogs in to flush out the wildlife.

franglais

Tenderfoot
Jun 4, 2013
France
At the end of the day buzzards are native, pheasant are not, they will take out the weaker pheasants which should surely make for a better shoot.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
.....most of the hunters are drunken rednecks who have no interest in conservation, and around here most of the woodland is owned by farmers as a sorce of firewood and shade for their beasts.....
.......due to the law in France anyone can send their dogs in to flush out the wildlife.

You say that like it's a bad thing? :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE