Game shooting protects wildlife?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I would rather see small woodlands that are not been pulling out becuse pheasant shooting provides an economic reason for keeping them.

The shooting industry provides very good habitats for a lot species. 40,000 buzzards is quite a few.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
According to the RSPB in the Guardian - "We don't have many of them in the UK"

According to the RSPB on the RSPB website "31,100-44,000 breeding territories" and "Green Status - Species that occur regularly in the UK"

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
So if 40 plus thousand is quite a few are you proposing that we have quotas for native species? With so many then what could possibly be the justification for destroying a few nests? Irrational obsession with buzzards flying over MY pheasant shoot would seem the only reason.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
So if 40 plus thousand is quite a few are you proposing that we have quotas for native species? With so many then what could possibly be the justification for destroying a few nests? Irrational obsession with buzzards flying over MY pheasant shoot would seem the only reason.

That's 40,000 territories, not individuals. What kind of number would be acceptable to you? Do you have a figure in mind?

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
That's 40,000 territories, not individuals. What kind of number would be acceptable to you? Do you have a figure in mind?

I have no figure for an acceptable number of buzzards or any other wildlife. Deer are another matter and I accept the need to cull them proportionally. If a predator species is presented with an additional source of food then it will exploit it. Assuming the questionable argument that buzzards predate pheasants to any significant extent. The answer to the commercial pheasant shooter and the fishery losing fish to other birds is tough, live with it.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
One assumes for consistency you feel the same way about foxes attacking chickens and indeed brown rats living on waste food in towns.

xylaria

I have no figure for an acceptable number of buzzards or any other wildlife. Deer are another matter and I accept the need to cull them proportionally. If a predator species is presented with an additional source of food then it will exploit it. Assuming the questionable argument that buzzards predate pheasants to any significant extent. The answer to the commercial pheasant shooter and the fishery losing fish to other birds is tough, live with it.

there is no such thing as a "no kill" crop, unless you manage to be a totally selfsuffienct homegrowing vegan. Pigeons are shot to protect legume harvests, rodents are controlled to protect grain, rabbits are shot to protect root crops, then include slugs and pest insects.

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Funny how people like to compare apples and oranges. Buzzards possibly predating on pheasants are a different case to foxes attacking chickens and rats scavenging in bins or crop protection methods. But of course if one criticises any aspect of game preservation one must be a namby pamby lefty ignoramus. Nobody has suggested class war yet, is that next?

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Chickens are bred for food, legumes for food, grain for food. Pheasants? Food and fun. Which is the most important out of those two I wonder? If you think it's food then try explaining why they're never intensively farmed like most foods.

I think that is the hub of the issue I have. Kill native species that predate the prey species being farmed for a paying sport/hobby? I don't believe that I accept that. If there are too many raptors isn't that a response to too many of their prey species.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Funny how people like to compare apples and oranges. Buzzards possibly predating on pheasants are a different case to foxes attacking chickens and rats scavenging in bins or crop protection methods.

Why are they? All of them are causing loss, inconvenience or some form of threat. There is no difference at all - beyond the fact that you don't like pheasant shoooting - or apparently fish farming. Why should someone who farm chickens be able to control their predators but someone who farms fish should not? Its not consistent. Deer (natural UK species) are okay to kill but buzzards are not - inconsistent.

Why are the cases different?

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Chickens are bred for food, legumes for food, grain for food. Pheasants? Food and fun.....

Actually no. Nether is bred for either food or for fun. They're both bred and reared for money. That's how modern farms operate. So at the end of the day, it really is apples to apples.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Besides, buzzards don't make any way near enough of a dent to bother controlling them for the purpose (spin) that the Guardian has placed upon it.

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Why are they? All of them are causing loss, inconvenience or some form of threat. There is no difference at all - beyond the fact that you don't like pheasant shoooting - or apparently fish farming. Why should someone who farm chickens be able to control their predators but someone who farms fish should not? Its not consistent. Deer (natural UK species) are okay to kill but buzzards are not - inconsistent.

Why are the cases different?

The cases are different which I think you know really. Don't mind pheasant shooting if battery rearing etc is not involved and don't mind fisheries but if they are overstocked they have only themselves to blame if herons etc help themselves. What is not right is for protected species which are all our heritage to be killed for their benefit.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
The cases are different which I think you know really. Don't mind pheasant shooting if battery rearing etc is not involved and don't mind fisheries but if they are overstocked they have only themselves to blame if herons etc help themselves. What is not right is for protected species which are all our heritage to be killed for their benefit.

Buzzards are not a "protected species" - they are covered by the general protection of birds under the WCA 1981 but are not Schedule 1 birds (as the hobby and honey buzzard are). Because they are not Schedule 1 (protected) birds, they can be killed with the appropriate permissions which have to demonstrate good reason. This was followed in this case and the permission granted. The birds are not threatened in numbers and are green status. The spirit and letter of the law have been followed. So again, other than because you appear to like buzzards, there is no clear difference in this, and any other form of pest control.

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Into the hair splitting again, as usual no point in continuing. It was simple enough and the very first post really said all that needed to be said. Buzzard control for a dubious reason, good thing or not?

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
People kill wasps, hornets, spiders and ants. I don't agree with that, but who cares? Neither do I agree that the current scourge of ground nesting bees and hedgehogs should be protected, but to utter such a thing would make me a heinous man.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE