Galvanized Raised Beds

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Anyone know whee you can source cheap versions of these? I'm not prepared to pay the normal money they want for what is just rolled Galvanized sheeting.

raised bed.jpg

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
No, I haven't. Those are neat though :)

Come to think on it, a friend sent me a link to the kind of raised beds she was making (she lives in a 'hut' on land that isn't hers, she recycles everything she possibly can) from the scrap from another old shed that was so fallen in that it was uninhabitable.
The email said that she'd used Robert's idea as her starting point, but had made hers hexagonal like my old herb bed.

I've found the email and the link.

Reactions: TeeDee
I made our own using old roofing iron & pallets, roofing iron & posts, I cut up some old galvo water tanks, used two old dustbins for potatoes, & we are also using a couple of old 44 gallon drums.
Raised-Garden-Beds-005-REDUCED.jpg
Raised-Garden-Beds-004-REDUCED.jpg
Raised-Garden-Beds-002-REDUCED.jpg

You might also consider sourcing some old above ground swimming pools.
Regards, Keith.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
No, I haven't. Those are neat though :)

Come to think on it, a friend sent me a link to the kind of raised beds she was making (she lives in a 'hut' on land that isn't hers, she recycles everything she possibly can) from the scrap from another old shed that was so fallen in that it was uninhabitable.
The email said that she'd used Robert's idea as her starting point, but had made hers hexagonal like my old herb bed.

I've found the email and the link.

I suspect me being more Scrooge than Money bags will be knocking up something similar to that. :)

Reactions: Toddy

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
When I started out growing vegetables I used my son's old plastic turtle shaped sandpit. I just grew salad stuff. Spring onions lettuce radish etc. If wasn't pretty but it worked.
My present ones are made of wood and only 6" high. You need a lot of earth to fill those deep ones. Bagged compost is a pricy way to do it unless you have made your own. (Always a good idea to have a compost bin anyway to top up the bed each year.)
If you are starting from scratch I'd just coble something together from recycled stuff. You can use bricks or sleepers, anything you like. I once knew someone who made their raised beds with wine bottles!WP_20130904_003.jpg

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Most folks start off those deep raised beds as Hügelkultur though, and the bulk of the space is filled with anything organic that will slowly break down. They use old branches, brash, turned turfs, cardboard, anything that the plants can get their roots in and around, and just the top layer is soil or compost.
Very effective apparently, and a good way to get really good soil over the seasons, and the inner stuff really helps with both enough moisture retention as well as drainage.

M

Reactions: ProjeKtWEREWOLF

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
My veg patch is more terraced than raised beds but it's the same principal. I did it about ten years ago and, short of cash, made them out of scaffold planks - I urge you to do better if you can afford it. Scaffold planks rot very quickly (I suppose I could have treated them first). They will have to do for this year but most are rotten and next year I'll have to replace them - treated 200mm x 75mm will cost me about £600 including £120 of delivery. Sleepers aren't any cheaper.

As I've said elsewhere, this is the first time I've turned this over for several years as we're normally trekking May and June. The ground to the right and below the dug bed is also due to be turned over; there's a path between the two.

TG5P3260014 - 2 - 2056 - 25.jpg

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
I’m wondering if galvanised sheet t he other orientation would be better. I’m thinking like they do on (I think) flood banks but not to that extreme. I’ve seen it where theres a big thumper whacking in long lengths of corrugated sheet. I just think the strength could be better but I might be wrong. More messing cutting sheets though I suppose.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I’m wondering if galvanised sheet t he other orientation would be better. I’m thinking like they do on (I think) flood banks but not to that extreme. I’ve seen it where theres a big thumper whacking in long lengths of corrugated sheet. I just think the strength could be better but I might be wrong. More messing cutting sheets though I suppose.

I did look at the kind of stuff they use on canal banks to raise the lowest side of our pond a few years ago (again, dug out of a slope) - but it was quite expensive.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
I did look at the kind of stuff they use on canal banks to raise the lowest side of our pond a few years ago (again, dug out of a slope) - but it was quite expensive.

Yes, that sort of thing!

I still think the sheet as above as opposed to full on canal stuff just flipping it round. I would worry that a long bed would bend in the middle without extra support. Could be wrong and the corrugating might be good enough that way.

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
I made our raised beds at the old house from gravel boards. They are usually 150mm high, 2.4 or 2.8m long and ready treated. As long as you put in cross ties every 1.5m or so, they work well. I have always hung around DIY places and looked through stacks of boards to find ones which are damaged - they are usually sold at a discount :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire

I think it's a case of every cut you make is a break in the protective layer and that lets it all rust. The sheets they use to retain embankments are used full size, iirc.

To be honest I think it'd look neater with the groves going top to bottom, but, well, as you said, it's a lot more cutting, and a lot more overlapping to keep the soil inside and not creeping out.

M

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Well 8ft x 3ft sheets are around the £10 mark so I think this is the way to go.

Probably go with Timber corner posts but will investigate Concrete posts although I'm expecting them to be uber pricey.

I wonder if you can apply some treatment to the sheet if you cut one in half.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Oops, cross posted with Stew :)

Do Hammerite not do some kind of spray on stuff ? I'm sure that we used something like that for doing the underframe of a welded angle iron trailer that was built to carry kayaks. We needed it to be as protected as we could make it, on a budget, to be safe near salt water. I'm pretty sure the lads just sprayed it with some kind of paint. Lasted well though, the companion roof rack bit's still sound and hanging in our lock up at least twenty five years later.

M

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
On a thin zinced corrugated sheet the zinc does offer some protection even if the edge is cut, paint gives no protection in that case. Painting the cut edge gives some protection but I doubt the paint lasts the abrasion if it is pushed into ground.

On heavy construction anodic protection is sometimes used, on short stints usually not, 12 mm of steel can take some corrosion.

How about a stone wall?

Reactions: santaman2000

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
My friend used old railway sleepers but then they had the money to.

I doubt they would be cheap in the quantity You would need.

However they wont rot!

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Well 8ft x 3ft sheets are around the £10 mark so I think this is the way to go.

Probably go with Timber corner posts but will investigate Concrete posts although I'm expecting them to be uber pricey.

I wonder if you can apply some treatment to the sheet if you cut one in half.

Does the corner post have to be square section? Cut down scaffold poles banged in, or chestnut fence posts will last ages. But not if you need flat faces to fix to.

Reactions: TeeDee

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Does the corner post have to be square section? Cut down scaffold poles banged in, or chestnut fence posts will last ages. But not if you need flat faces to fix to.

Yes , good thought but I want to create some standalone shapes so these won't be tiered terraces.

I also need a load of Galvanized sheets to help restrain the over eager stream thats eating into my garden so I'll use the Scaffold pole trick for that , Thank You.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE