Gaitor recomendations please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tartanferret

Aug 25, 2011
barnsley
I can't believe that in the "summer" I am asking for recommendations for a pair of walking gaiters.

An item of kit I previously would have put on the stuff for room 101 thread. (I'l still never succumb to walking sandals or a leather hat though);)

A mate lent me a pair but I never used 'em,

Now the time has come to get some, This afternoon I popped over to Go-outdoors, (no RAB or Berghaus, despite what their website says)

Tried some Trekmates, cairngorm GTX, just for the fit. By 'eck the velcro on those means business !!

I don't need the ex army Yeti type gaitors.

Budget £40, at a push, the one I've been looking at vary between £20-£35

Any suggestions folks ?

Cheers
PS Enjoy your friday night tipples ! ;):beerchug:

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
I don't wear gaitors often so I use a cheap pair of black Regatta ones, they're tough enough & waterproof but heavy. not breathable so can get a little damp on the insides. cost about £15

haydenw

Mar 25, 2012
Nottingham
Pop to TK Maxx - i got a pair of green gore-tex trekmates gaitors for £7.99.

Weren't many left but worth a look if you can get to one.

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
plus 1 for the trekmates!! got mine for under a tenner off of ebay!!
Wore a pair round Scotland when it was very 'moist' and were great!!

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
I generally use half chaps that horse riders wear
Made of leather they hold themselves up, are close fitting which means you don't get the swoosh swoosh when walking. the only problem I have had is when trying to put them over the padded ankle of modern walking boots can be a struggle as there's not as much stretch.
Brill

susi

Nomad
Jul 23, 2008
Finland
I use some cheap "Highlander Brand" gaitors when hunting, more to keep stuff out of my boots than anything. They do that job well, but one does get sweaty inside them :(

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
I can't recommend fjallraven....comfy but sweaty.....doh nearly forgot, I might be floggin em at some point....so they're ace :D
I prefer brit issue ones , but can't get hold of a pair with wider calf :eek: good luck in your quest :thumbup:
Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
+1 for the Black Islanders. I'll definitely get some when my Mountain Range goretex gaiters finally die - my first pair lasted 12years, the current pair are on year 8. Sadly they no longer make them otherwise I'd get another pair now. I had the Harkilas as a spare pair but they sweated loads and was quite pleased when they ended up full of holes when I got too close to a fire.

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Don't really see the point in them myself. Used to have a pair of Trekmates, but I found them uncomfortable. These days I just get muddy.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE