Gadget - Tablets

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Not bushcrafty but anyone got any comments on tablets? Looking at getting a 7" nexus 7 tablet and wondered what ppl thought of them. Got halls sensor, gyro, gps, etc. Shld be gd for some use. I mostly want an easy internet viewing device. Use phone for impromptu searches but screen too small. Pc takes too long to boot. The nexus 7 looks very gd for price.
I know there are techie types here as well so hope to hear from someone.

Cheers.
Paul

markie*mark0

Settler
Sep 21, 2010
warrington
im also looking for a well priced tablet, but dont know which are good or bad, im keeping an eye on deal websites also to see what bargains can be had!

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Last week the 16gb nexus 7 was going for £170 in currys/pcworld and pricematchd by comet. Now the 8 and 16gb ones arent being sold anymore. You have to spend £200 for a 32gb one. Still a gd deal but i only need.16gb i think.

The kindle fire hd is not that nice to use. You are tied to Amazon so perhaps not as many apps. Also. It's not quite a full android neither. I tried one and thought it was horrible to actually use. The nexus felt more like my gs2 with ICS os. The kindle didnt feel like an Android os to me.

I'm waiting to see if the nexus 7 drops in price at currys. Wonder if anyone has one on here?

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
There is a review of the Nexus 7 over on Boing Boing, I don't have a tablet so cannot comment, however I was troubled by Apple's recent decision to prevent folks reversing a system upgrade, especially as many were reporting that the last upgrade was causing quite a few headaches.

If I was to look at a tablet, I'd probably opt for a Nexus 7.

:)

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
I absolutely loathe the things. If you can type they're incredibly frustrating. The 'locking in' business can usually be worked around but it isn't for the faint-hearted.

neoaliphant

Settler
Aug 24, 2009
Somerset
only the 8gb is being discontinued, the 16 will still be available

one of the cheapest places to get is direct from the google play store

Ive set up and gave tuition on about 4x nexus 7s in the last month, they are marvelous, very cost efficient
i prefer them over the kindle fire definitely,

id say if you have a high end phone like S3 or onex, then the jump from 4.8" to 7" isnt that much to warranty a a new device
so the nexus 10 might be better option

If you have a tiny screen phone, 3.5" etc, then it would be worth it

I wouldnt bother with paying extra for getting one with mobile connectivity, i would tether from a smartphone
Also id advise not storing music on the tablet as space would be limited, use the phone for music instead, and tablet for games, books and movies
if you wont be using tablet for movies, not much reason to get the 32gb unless you have to ahve photos local, theres always dropbox and other cloud services for photos, theres less options for movies

If you have an iphone, id advise for an ipad or ipad mini, as you are already in a closed system.

Al

Stew

Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
My concern with moving away from Apple products is what app availability is there?

I've owned an iTouch, which is now beyond repair and am considering a tablet to replace. I'm happy to move brand but like the mass of apps with Apple - are others comparable, just less well publicised?

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
Been happy with the ipad 2, the typing has been fine on it. Its not a laptop, but it does fine for the things i need/want it for.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Im still waiting for them to bring that Leafsnap out for android. :rolleyes: Supposedly it uses face recognition technology.
You can snap a piccie of any leaf, and it immeadiately tells you the name of the tree.

Still looking for a good free Tree/Plant ID app for android.

Apple do still seem to have better free apps for some reason. [Unless you live in North America]

Another Good british tree guide available for Iphone, but not for android:
https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/id330025326?mt=8&affId=1736887

This is a good free one, for north america for android:https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.pottssoftware.agps21&hl=en

Last edited:
Ive had an Asus Transformer with the klip on Keyboard for about a year now and its great with the keyboard on its a mini laptop and has a massive battery or take the screen off for a tablet

the tablet prioritises the 2 batteries to conserve the screen one so when docked it uses the keyboard one first and or charges the screen one I can charge the keyboard separately and carry on with the screen ie to read in bed while the keyboard charges for the morning (they claim 16 hrs from both batteries on video but as usual its not accurate but its still a pretty long battery life compared to others)

can take a SD card and 2 USB sockets in the keyboard and a micro SD in the Screen part so can add extra storage (lots off) and transfer files easily from cameras etc or have a Music Card and swap out for a photo or files one

Ipads you have nothing so easy

Wife has a Ipad and Iphone
I have android phone and tablet to me much better designed for the user not apples convenience

Kindle app is loaded on it anyway
BUT the last upgrade they locked out any books not bought from the kindle store which is a PITA as i have loads that aren't from there so had to load another reader half way thro a book)

pretty much any app on Apple is available for android

chas brookes

Life Member
Jun 20, 2006
west sussex
Hi
TreesUK is a good tree app available on android[

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=app.fmst.treesuk&hl=en

QUOTE=Dave;1193513]Im still waiting for them to bring that Leafsnap out for android. :rolleyes: Supposedly it uses face recognition technology.
You can snap a piccie of any leaf, and it immeadiately tells you the name of the tree.

Still looking for a good free Tree/Plant ID app for android.

Apple do still seem to have better free apps for some reason. [Unless you live in North America]

Another Good british tree guide available for Iphone, but not for android:
https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/id330025326?mt=8&affId=1736887

This is a good free one, for north america for android:https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.pottssoftware.agps21&hl=en[/QUOTE]

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Ipads out for me due to price. Apple always put a premium on their products that aren't warranted imho. Think the nexus 7 is ideal for me. I've a gs2 which has a screen just a bit smaller than gs3 but imho the increase to 7" does add a lot to functionality. Forums are hard on gs2 but i have used my kindle on internet once and think the extra inch on tge nexus is perfect mix of portability and viewing.
Getting one soon.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE