Fussy eater with one trangier

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

winchman

Oct 18, 2011
Merseyside
Hello
Our 14 year old fussy eating daughter is going on her D of E expadition soon.
They will be cooking on trangias, and will have some army ration packs.
Any good food ideas?
Shes almost a veggie, eats eggs, cheese, pasta, baked spuds, beans.
I am going to buy one of the cheap Trangia copies from Class Olsohn ( spelling ) as they are £12, so we can have a few dummy runs in the garden.
Whats the best way to wash up? canyt see them taking a washing up bowl???

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Cous cous is quicker and easier to cook than rice or pasta, and if she'll eat that, there are a million and one things that can be added to it :) Cleans out easily too :) and it's lightweight to carry.

Good idea on the practice runs; if nothing else it'll help her judge portion sizes.

cheers,
Toddy

jonnie drake

Settler
Nov 20, 2009
west yorkshire
lentils, noodles and spaghetti cook relatively quickly :) theres also porridge, you can buy the flavoured ones for variety. If you can be bothered you can dehydrate your own stuff like fruit and veg, which you could add to noodles etc. Same goes for meats too, even fish. A couple of ziplock bags with different herbs and spices will help ring the changes, and ready to go dry foods like peanuts, raisins, bombay mix will save her on heavy fuel and add a bit more variety.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
You could repack some of her favourite meals in boil-a-bags from Lakeland, much easier to pack and dispose of than tins etc.

I'd be tempted not to load her up with too much weight as it'll probably put her off for life :)

kINGPIN

Nomad
Dec 14, 2009
Cambridgeshire UK
I like quick cook pasta. A good way to do it is to plan to cook with someone. One person cooks the pasta, the other cooks the boil in the bags. They will both be ready about the same time, so just pour the pasta into the boil in the bag. It turns it into a proper sized meal.

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
Add things that would lift the flavour of the meal. So, dried mushrooms, tubes of tomato puree, sundried tomato puree, garlic paste etc., dried chillis, dried herbs, stock cubes.......

They all go well with cous cous, pasta, rice - smash even :)

Mutate the list to suit her tastes.

Cheers!

Huon

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Five minute pasta in cheese sauce, five minute flavoured rice + mix in a tin of tuna (if she eats fish), smash and baked beans with grated cheese (buy her a couple of packs of ready grated or grate at home to make things easier), breakfast of boiled egg sarnies and some cereals (variety pack would be good for her to pick from) and make milk from powder.

When you get the stove get a lollipop stick or plant marker, measure in 200ml of water to pan and mark the stick, add 100ml and mark the stick carry on up to 500ml so she does not get sloppy food. Also with the stove, before you use it open up a paper clip and make sure all the holes in the burner are clear. Get her to make the meals at least twice before the camp and stock her up with bite size chocolate bars etc. Fruit can get easily bruised so I would say take oranges.

Hope she enjoys herself.

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
Noodles with something stirred in for flavor andd interest, My fav is Mackeral from a tin with spices. As above lots of extra flavour items too.. Miso soup with Japanese Nori seaweed and dried ****ake mushrooms with Noodles is another fav...

Oh and boil in the bag rice, Foolproof!!

Globetrotter.uk

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2008
Norwich UK
I'm a fussy eater too, one of my snacks I enjoy is morrisons instant mash with onions and I add either cheese or beans.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
Things I have been having at work and cooking on my meths stove the last few weeks are...

Oat so simple made with milk powder
Uncle Bens rice pouches
Super Noodles
Tomato soup sachets
Pasta 'n sauce packs
Tuna steak pouches
Buttery Smash
Chicken Noodle soup

All this stuff comes in small, easily transported packages and keeps for ages and as long as you have water your OK. I too am thinking of getting into dehydrating veggies as this is all that is missing from my daytime diet and I do like my veg!

I just spent a couple of hours wandering round Tesco's trying to find stuff to eat that keeps well and packs small for storage. I have a large shoebox in my van with enough packs of grub in it for at least two weeks.

Hope this gives you a few ideas,

Steve

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk

I did a weekends blacksmithing course a long time ago, we worked up a real hunger - our instructor got to eat his lunch before us. I remember looking on him with envious eyes as he tucked into tuna in brine and an apple, with a chunk of bread. At that point in time it seemed like a banquet.

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
A personal fave...

gnocchi with some pasta sauce and a sprinkling of cheese on top easy and quick.

Batchelors Pasta n' sauce is also a good choice... 120g a pouch and a good size meal. Surprisingly nice for packet dried pasta. You can pick them up in budget shops for around 50p

http://www.batchelorsrange.co.uk/range/pasta-n-sauce/

Asda microwave (just add to hot water) golden syrup sachets of porridge are good for brekkie too.

Last edited:

winchman

Oct 18, 2011
Merseyside
Thanks for all your help, I will show her the thread and take her shopping LOL
I am sure she will enjoy it as she is very much an out door person, she has just been on a week end away with the cadets and said the food was terrible so lived off bit of the army food and the stash of snacks I sent in her back pack.
So how do you wash up with no bowl?
I did think of sending her with the small 10" or so one from our campervan, if it will fit in as the inside can just be fiolled with stuff, I alos thought about a tupperware that could store food but be used for washing up.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
You can get a folding "bowl" which is a bit like a heavy duty shower cap packs down reasonably small.Wiping things out then a rinse usually suffices for me though, with heavily soiled stuff I boil up a small amount of water in the bottom to help clean it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE