Fussy eater with one trangier

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Pack of baby wipes work well so long as she does not burn the food, tesco value fragrance free are on offer 25p for a pack of 80.

salad

Sep 24, 2008
In the Mountains
Cous cous is quicker and easier to cook than rice or pasta, and if she'll eat that, there are a million and one things that can be added to it :) Cleans out easily too :) and it's lightweight to carry.

Good idea on the practice runs; if nothing else it'll help her judge portion sizes.

cheers,
Toddy

Cous cous is very tasty, however if she is going to be doing a lot of hiking you need to make sure that what ever you put with it is high calorie as cous cous by its self is quite low cal and wont give here a big energy kick, if she does not want to wash up then good ole uncle bens can be boiled in the bag, which means no washing up or if you want to splash out then there are loads of flavours of dehydrated high calorie meals available from outdoors shops that you just add water in the bag, again no washing up

My missus is a fussy eater as well, but after a day walking in the hill she will eat anything, the outdoors has a way of getting past fussy eaters when they are hungry :)

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I just don't tolerate fussy eaters. Eat it or not, your choice, but don't expect me to go out of my way to provide alternatives.

Strangely, no-one in my family is a fussy eater. :)

Some good suggestions on here though.

Ratbag

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Barnsley
From my experience in mountain marathons, my favourite superlight / minimal cooking required menus are:

Dinner
Plain couscous with (rehydrated) freeze-dried vegetables and onions, grated cheese and chopped salami, olive oil to taste; or
Smash with (rehydrated) freeze-dried onions, grated cheese and chopped salami
Instant custard with 3 or 4 broken up gingernuts

Breakfast
Pop tarts (oh yes)
Multivitamin tablet

Food and drink for the hill (to be consumed little and often)
Muesli bars
treat-sized Mars or Snickers
Tangfastics / Jellybabies
Water with electrolyte powder added (I like the SIS Go ones best)

Lunch
Oatcakes, snack-sized cheese stick, branston pickle

Drinks
Instant coffee with powder milk and sugar already added
Hot chocolate

Don't forget the salt and pepper, it can make a huge difference to how dinner tastes

You get sick of sweet stuff on multi-day trips, but it's the easiest way to get the calories down. I remember halfway through one long trip someone produced oatcakes, cheese and pickle one lunchtime - there was very nearly an ugly scene as the rest of us choked down yet another muesli bar each. Hence why I often carry "Lunch" as well as all the hill food.

HTH

Rat

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
With regard to the washing up, I cook and eat out of my Titan kettle and keep a tiny 5ml bottle of washing up liquid and a cut down piece of scourer for stubborn residue. There are ways to keep the pan cleaner especially with porridge like boil the water or milk first then add the oats and let sit with the heat off but mostly just keeping an eye and stirring often helps keep things burn free. Most times I don't need suds and a swish with some water does the job.

While on the subject of camp food, apart from Gatorade is there any powder cold fruit drink stuff available in the UK? I have looked but only found quite expensive sports powders.

Steve.

peaks

Settler
May 16, 2009
Derbys
Hi,
in addition to all the suggestions above - have you seen/tried the "Look what we've found" range? - combined with rice or pasta they are good. They also do a range of soups. They can be heated in the sachets, to avoid washing up. You can get them on line or from most large supermarkets. Aldi have them on offer at times too.

http://www.lookwhatwefound.co.uk/Page/Index.aspx

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Whats with all this talk of couscous ? Looks like the bottom of a budgie cage :( No taste, limited food value but fish like it I'm told :)

winchman

Oct 18, 2011
Merseyside
Thanks for all your ideas.
I have bought the copy Trangia, quality looks good, but my kettle wont fit in it :(
Just have to use a pan.
I will take her shopping at the weekend and try some dummy runs.
The ration packs, she will ask for vegiterian as more chance of her eating it, but i will have a secret stash in her backpack

birchwood

Nomad
Sep 6, 2011
Kent
Just take a small strong plastic bottle with some washing -up liquid in (use just a little) ,and a sponge /scourer,and a small tea towel.Wash up in the largest pan,rinse and dry,
job done :)

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
for washing up it depends on water, either just wash the items out with washing up liquid and some wire wool or if water is an issue use mud grass etc to scrape out the contents then wipe with more grass or moss etc followed by a little rince of water....

if you need a washing up bowl try the local petshop, they have fold up dog bowls that should work fine for the job...

as for your pans get some mess tins, they cost about £5 pach up small and can be used 1 as a lid to reduce boil times, you can also put your lighter spoon a cloth washing up liquid and things inside each other, all in one place ready to go...;)

yeha

Tenderfoot
Oct 4, 2009
North Yorkshire
Scrambled egg in a bag is good. Take one freezer bag, add 2-3 eggs and some grated cheese. Tie handles together. Squeeze a few times to mix it all. Drop into boiling, or just off boiling water, for 4-5 mins and then eat from the bag. Make sure the bag doesn't sit on the bottom too long though as it will melt through. Although even if this happens there will still be plenty of cooked egg left, it's just the middle that runs away.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE