Funny berry

bushcraftbob

Settler
Jun 1, 2007
Oxfordshire
I found a berry bush on sat and im struggling to identify it. From a distance they looked like small strawberries, but on closer inspection the fruit looks more like a blackberry crossed with a raspberry, but all the berries were scarlet red, and very soft and pulled off the plant very easily, so they are almost ripe. I cant quite remember what the leaves looked like so ill try and go have another look and take a pic at the same time. Anyway I took a gamble and ate one, and im still here with no side effects so is def edible. Anyone have any ideas? Do berries interbreed so to speak?

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
mulberry? - large leaves akin to a large oak (kinda)

IMG_0037.jpg

bushcraftbob

Settler
Jun 1, 2007
Oxfordshire
cheers for the suggestions, they look sorta similar although i rember the berry being more dumpier and rounded ill take a pic and upload tomo hopefully

Mirius

Nomad
Jun 2, 2007
North Surrey
I'd suggest that it was likely a wild raspberry. Did it taste like a blackberry? Wild raspberries look just like blackberries (so they have larger, rounder errr round bits, not like the cultivated raspberry which has smaller, smoother parts to the berry) but remain red when they are ripe unlike a blackberry, which of course turns black... If it was an unripe dewberry, you'd have known about it as it would have been hard and very sour.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE