Fungus Strop

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Ive had a piece of Birch Polypore fungus drying in the shed now for a good year, possibly longer, so today, having "rediscovered" it in a box of bits, i decided it was time to actually put it to use, so a bit of time on the shave horse saw a piece of Hazel taken down to a suitable thickness, then it was out with the sheath knife and carve a comfortable handle, then trim the fungus to just slightly oversize and glue it to the board using some epoxy resin.

DSCF0660sep2.jpg

Once the resin had set, i trimmed the fungus down to the board shape and sanded the sides smooth and dead flush, then using a sanding block i took the top of the fungus down to flat using a coarse grit paper initially and then finished it off with 120 grit paper to get a smooth finish to the fungus.

DSCF0664sep2.jpg

Many people will know the other name for this fungus as the "Razor strop" fungus, the reason for this is because the barbers of old, used to use a strop made from this fungus to hone their razors and yes, it really does impart a razors edge to your tools.

Mojoracinguk

Nomad
Apr 14, 2010
Hereford
can you show it to us....sounds interesting....plus other than cramp balls is the only other fungus I find useful.....with my limited ability...

JAG009

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 20, 2010
Under your floor
Do you cut the polypore roughly to size and then let it dry or do you just leave it intact and cut to size once dry?

Jason

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Do you cut the polypore roughly to size and then let it dry or do you just leave it intact and cut to size once dry?

Jason

I cut it roughly to size and let it dry, although in the video above i cut it fresh and made the thing there and then, btw the dry fungus makes a superb ember extender and the fresh outer white layer of this fungi can also be used as a plaster, just cut it into a thin strip and apply to the wound.

JAG009

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 20, 2010
Under your floor
I cut it roughly to size and let it dry, although in the video above i cut it fresh and made the thing there and then, btw the dry fungus makes a superb ember extender and the fresh outer white layer of this fungi can also be used as a plaster, just cut it into a thin strip and apply to the wound.

Thanks for the info Kepis,I will be giving that a try soon

Cheers

Jason

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE