Fungi photos

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SOAR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
Just a few fungi photos from a trip out.

DSC_0714.jpg

DSC_0713.jpg

DSC_0715.jpg

DSC_0718.jpg

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
Nice one Simon - the first three look like a long time lapse of a birch polypore (Piptoporus betulinus). http://www.mushroomexpert.com/piptoporus_betulinus.html

The next one is a little more tricky - Root Fomes (Heterobasidion annosum) is the right sort of shape, but the colour isn't quite right and the guide I've got says more common in coniferous wood, whereas that looks to be on birch. Another possible as is Inonotus radiatus or the giant polypore (Meripilus giganteus) perhaps?

Good pics though - will you be going back there at all?

SOAR

Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
Nice one Simon - the first three look like a long time lapse of a birch polypore (Piptoporus betulinus). http://www.mushroomexpert.com/piptoporus_betulinus.html

The next one is a little more tricky - Root Fomes (Heterobasidion annosum) is the right sort of shape, but the colour isn't quite right and the guide I've got says more common in coniferous wood, whereas that looks to be on birch. Another possible as is Inonotus radiatus or the giant polypore (Meripilus giganteus) perhaps?

Good pics though - will you be going back there at all?

Yeh the first ones are Piptoporus betulinus on Birch, the other is a Fomes fomentarius I think with younger ones growing on it. Again think this was on fallen Birch.

SOAR

Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
A Fungi pic thread would be good if folk have em post em up.:)

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Yeh the first ones are Piptoporus betulinus on Birch, the other is a Fomes fomentarius I think with younger ones growing on it. Again think this was on fallen Birch.

Don't think it's fomes... There's a whole bunch of weird brackets that are really hard to tell apart - but unless you're a serious mycologist, they're probably not interesting enough to make it worth the effort anyway.

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I have a few pics to bung up if anyone's interested, some I know what they are and some (well OK, most) I don't.

This one was on the trunk of a monkey puzzle tree and taken on the 12/11/06.
Pretty sure I know this one.
DSC00237.jpg
DSC00238.jpg
DSC00239.jpg

I tend to take pics of all sorts and intend to identify them later, don't always get round to the identify part though.

SOAR

Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
Nice pics looks like Armillaria growing on the dead wood of that wound.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Yes mate, that's exactly what it is; just don't leave it anywhere for a few hours and forget about it or you'll find out about the ink part in the name :yikes:

About how they are in your picture or earlier is just when I like to fry 'em and gobble 'em up!

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Quietone's O.P. above put me in the notion of some Lawyer's Wigs, as they're known hereabouts, so I went off today and found a few prime specimens; on the way back I remembered I had some sourdough starter out in the garden to catch some new yeasty beasties and which I'll need to feed this evening; so what tastier than sourdough pancakes with these fellows on/in them?

I'm not sure life gets much better, this for tea on a spectacular Autumn last day of October :)

P1030292.jpg

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE