fungi ID

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
found this growing on a birch today. its definately not birch polypor, it has white gills underneath:confused:

sory about the poor pics
Image061.jpg

Image062.jpg

thanks
pete

inthewids

Nomad
Aug 12, 2008
Morayshire
If you take one down and lay it on some paper, leave it there for a while,you can tap it lightly too, remove the fungi and you should be left with spores evident on the paper, you can then i.d it by the colour of the spores.

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
anything with gills leaves one.

you place the cap/top section minus the stalk on a plate of glass and cover to keep moist for about 4 hours, sometimes overnight
lift off and see what you have left. usually its a coloured spore print. i.e. everything thats dropped out whilst its been sat.
oddly fun to do but you can look up the colour and pattern in ref books along with the full descriptions, i.e. location of growth, size, colour, cap features, gill length, gill characteristics (free, adnate etc)
this can help to identify although nothing is ever 100% accurate (sadly)
have fun!
pete

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
This could be an oyster mushroom. It has a pale lilac spoor print. According to "How to identify edible mushrooms" by Harding Lyon and Tomblin none of the look a likes are poisonous.

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
its the lack of stem that makes me think it isn't an oyster tho, usually there's a ridged stem from the tree, this appears to be like a bracket fungus?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE