fungi id

combatblade1

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 1, 2007
"I won't have a Spydi"
Can anyone id this fungi i have checked on NIFG and think it is possibly Amanita ceciliae
but think isnt enough when it involves fungi?
closeupfungicaply2.jpg

closeupfungistemde0.jpg

combatblade1

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 1, 2007
"I won't have a Spydi"
Amanita rubescens var. rubescens bears even more of a resembalance to it the colour of the cap the way the sheath is high up ths stem and is seamless to where it meets the gills. What you think?

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
Rubescens as the name says turns red when cut or damaged, hence its common name the blusher.

I'm sticking with a Panther cap mate, colours in fungi can be deceptive and at best a rough guide.

The ring will appear to be at different heights depending how far the cap opens and is also a bit of a moveable identifier.

A nice little find though :)

Tant

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
It has a ring so it is not likely to be a amanita cecilae
The stype where it has been cut hasn't turned red so it is not likly to be a blusher rubescens.
The scales aren't white so it is unlikely to be a panther cap.
Maybe a A.franchetii but it is a bit yellow underneath but not yellow enough.

:banghead:

Was there any sign of a volva (bag) around the root?
http://digitalnatura.dyndns.org/v1....ch&sessionid=3cdbbed10c8cdb576f8227d1322fdd45

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I think this proves how hard it is to ID fungi, especially from photos on a computer as colours can be deceptive based on what setting your camera was on and what the users screen colours and brightness is set at.

The only thing I can suggest is if you cannot positively ID it 100% without even a slight doubt in your mind, then don't eat it!

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
I think this proves how hard it is to ID fungi, especially from photos on a computer as colours can be deceptive based on what setting your camera was on and what the users screen colours and brightness is set at.

The only thing I can suggest is if you cannot positively ID it 100% without even a slight doubt in your mind, then don't eat it!

A point well made ;)

As for amanitas in general I leave them well alone. Dont pay a lot of attention to them cos there is no way I am eating them.

See the white spotted cap and just keep on foraging.

:)

Tant

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
stupid question, but related, what type of fungi is the common mushroom we eat with our steaks?

s-o-r-r-y to go slightly off topic.

Not one of these dear!!!
Agaricus bisporus is one of the most cultivated. It has been known for mushrooms that are related to one below to be eaten in mistake for it with deadly consequences. As you can see the one below has white gills, if you have a really good look at a shop bought mushroom you see even when it is in button form the gills aren't white. If you lay a commercial mushroom gill side on a piece of paper you will get dark brown print, then try it with a small mushroom you find in field. You will see a different colour/shade. The colour of the spore print more or less tells you which family you have and where in a field guide to start looking.

IMHO it is good to learn how to ID difficult mushrooms. I do presume that if you can operate a computer, know what grammar is, that you are not egdit, and wouldn't eat a amanitas without really good knowlegde. I think this one is difficult because it is not anything well known and it is not well covered in books. If it was a blusher or a pantercap it would of been IDed on the first post.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE