Fungi ID please.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Keep finding these things on the path, as though they've just rolled there.

Bit weighty. What are they? Kinda looks like a puffball, but with no hole. And is solid in the centre, jelly on the outside.

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• P1000181.jpg
    P1000181.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 33
  • P1000180.jpg
    P1000180.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 32

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I believe that is what's called a witches egg, which is a stinkhorn fungus before the upright part has developed.

Not 100% sure though. Post it in the "What is this fngus?" thread (a sticky in the Flora and Fauna section of the forum).

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Common stinkhorn in its immature stage id reckon. I believe the continentals eat the solid inside of these, although I wouldn't without a proper ID because I'm no expert. When they mature you'll know better. By the smell alone you'll know!

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
I buy 6 big garden bags full of bark and chippings, every year and put them in waterlogged spots in the garden. Thats supposed to be its favorite habitat. Just buried it. Should be a lovely pong come autumn? Teeheehee

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
I buy 6 big garden bags full of bark and chippings, every year and put them in waterlogged spots in the garden. Thats supposed to be its favorite habitat. Just buried it. Should be a lovely pong come autumn? Teeheehee

It should smell like a dead sheep in the garden if there's a few lol

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
It is one of the stinkhorns. I cant assess the size so cant quite tell which species. I can tell you remove the eyeball like jelly and slice and fry with garlic butter, witches egg tastes very good.

The knife blade is 6cm long

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE