Fungi ID Help

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
Hi all,

found a fungi today and am trying to ID it, had a look through my collins, it says it's a potato ;) (joking) so I trawled through rogers mushrooms. I think it may be a russula of some description, possibly a cyanoxantha (charcol burner) but I wouldn't bet my life on it!

I've attached a couple of reasonably poor pics. It was found on landscaped grass under a cherry tree, beside some hawthorn hedges. I have a walk round our facility at lunchtime to get me out of doors.

So any ideas and what would be the uniquely IDing feature so I get edumacated as well! I got the colour and the weird way it curls round at the edge.

Image1.jpg

Image2.jpg

Cheers,

Alan

PJMCBear

Settler
May 4, 2006
Hyde, Cheshire
It looks like a Brown Roll Rim (Paxillus involutus). Don't go back and eat it.

Cap 7-15cm, stem 4-8cm x 1-2cm. Causes sickness and possibly more serious illnesses.

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
thanks PJMCBear, I had a look at this and it doesn't look like it's got the same funnel shape on top, it's more classic dome shape.

I'm not an expert either! :D This fungi ID thing is really hard, I'm not sure I would eat anything without verification from someone who knew what they were talking about (and was prepared to eat it first! :naughty: )

Cheers,

Alan

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
It looks like a Brown Roll Rim (Paxillus involutus). Don't go back and eat it.

Cap 7-15cm, stem 4-8cm x 1-2cm. Causes sickness and possibly more serious illnesses.

Good ID :You_Rock_

The fungi in the picture is a very typical shape for a roll rim, and gills have that very tightly pack look, plus the brown brusing

Brown roll rims have rust red brown spore prints, all russulas have pale coloured prints and the gills attach at more or less a right angle to the stem, where as roll rims the gills run down the stem a little.

Brown rollrims also have a distinctive bitter/coal smell. One of my older field guides says Deadly poisonous eaten in Poland. They are supposedly delicious and can eaten be repeatedly until one day your body reacts and you die from haemolytic anemia. Like Russian roulette but with fungi. Even the Polish have stop eaten them now.

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
Now there's the girl we've all been waiting on :D

Nice one PJMCBear you do indeed rock, My crap collins piccie didn't look anything like that! :( but the Rogers Mushrooms one was virtually identical

xylaria you got any recommendations for a good and small(ish) book for a noob to start with?

Cheers,

Alan

Good ID :You_Rock_

The fungi in the picture is a very typical shape for a roll rim, and gills have that very tightly pack look, plus the brown brusing

Brown roll rims have rust red brown spore prints, all russulas have pale coloured prints and the gills attach at more or less a right angle to the stem, where as roll rims the gills run down the stem a little.

Brown rollrims also have a distinctive bitter/coal smell. One of my older field guides says Deadly poisonous eaten in Poland. They are supposedly delicious and can eaten be repeatedly until one day your body reacts and you die from haemolytic anemia. Like Russian roulette but with fungi. Even the Polish have stop eaten them now.

You inspired us at the bushmoot Fiona :) hope we can do another walk may be at Delamere next time , I am no where near being confident about mushrooms but I love to see someone who is so enthusiastic about the subject at work :)

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Hey, a Delamere mushroom walk by the Mushroom Lady would be a great idea! There would hopefully be something about by then other than Birch polypore!

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
:eek: :eek: :eek:
Goose has asked me to do a plant walk, and I'm sure some fungi will be spotted too. I saw four types of edible fungi at the last meet.

Someone could talk me through shiny things please. I sharpen my axe with a dremmel, so I'm pretty stupid. Fungi are the only thing I talk about and sound anyway near smart, PJMC id'ed this one not me.

PJMCBear

Settler
May 4, 2006
Hyde, Cheshire
:eek: :eek: :eek:
Goose has asked me to do a plant walk, and I'm sure some fungi will be spotted too. I saw four types of edible fungi at the last meet.

Someone could talk me through shiny things please. I sharpen my axe with a dremmel, so I'm pretty stupid. Fungi are the only thing I talk about and sound anyway near smart, PJMC id'ed this one not me.

Ah, but, you were my inspiration, Fiona. :D ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE