Fungi ID help needed

Feygan

Forager
Oct 14, 2006
Northern Ireland
Ok 2 things I collected today in the woods and I've had no luck Identifying them, so any help would be great. Have to apologise for the lack of quality as they were taken with a webcam, as I dont have a digicam at the moment. Both were collected growing out of a standing tree.

Picture001.jpg

Picture002.jpg

This one is about 2 and half inches across, very soft to touch, has a slimy surface, and is a general tan colour all over. The gills are also soft and loose instead of holding straight. It almost has a nutty fish smell but that might just be my nose. :)

Picture003.jpg

Picture004.jpg

This one is big, easily almost thumbtip to little fingertip when spread. A dark brown top and white with spotted underside. The flesh is hard both top and bottom, it actually took a little effort to slice through with a sharp blade. The top feels, almost leathery.

Any Ideas??

bushtank

Nomad
Jan 9, 2007
king lynn
Hi Fegan
and can tell you that the bottom pic is the razor strop (piptoporus betulinus) and i bet is was growimg out of a silver birch the other is well im not sure as the shroom has "gone over" a fair bit :beerchug:

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Could we some more information of the first one please, size, was alone on a tree trunk or clustered with others. It looks abit like an expired member of the oyster fungus family. Throw it out tonight, it does look like it will have maggots in it. It may be heaving by tomorrow morning. :eek:

thomasturnbill your right on the money. there is lots on infomation on previous threads on birch polypore.

Feygan

Forager
Oct 14, 2006
Northern Ireland
Many thanks on the razor strop ID, daft question I know but what things can I use that for and how? is it edible and such?

As to the other one, Yes it had definitly gone over as at the time of taking that picture, It had been at the top of my back for a good 3-4 hours. It was found on a fallen trunk in a cluster of maybe 8-9 others all of similar size, and was an orangy tan colour when fresh.

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Do a search for piptoporus betulinus.
There was a thread on it ten days ago :banghead:
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/community/showthread.php?t=17820

ME and Toddy, haven't really came to any consensus on the ediblity of birch polypore. :swordfigh I have eaten it fresh, both raw and cooked in various ways , I think Toddy has eaten it dried. I have came closer to finding the cure for the common cold than finding a food source. It is not poisonous so you can taste test it and decide.

The other one if it is about 10cm across it is a panellus serotinus. It goes brown after frosts. If it is smaller (<5cm) it could be Hohenbuehelia atrocaerulea :)tongue-ti hard to say or what?). I have eaten Panellus serotinus and it is pretty tastless. Best fried with garlic.

Feygan

Forager
Oct 14, 2006
Northern Ireland
Ok well no luck on the smaller first one as yet, I'll have to just bring a sealable bag next time to bring them home in better condition.

How do I go about using the polypore as a strop for a knife? I'm guessing it involves slicing the skin off, but would like to know abit more. Handy knowing about the hunger stave part of them though, specially as it was just a small clearing (maybe about 30 ft by 50ft) in a peat based mossy pine forest, and there must have been at least 40 or more of them on the few trees there.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE