fundimental woodlore course

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
May 17, 2005
being new to bushcraft i have signed up to the course i know many of you have done it.
i have some of ray`s books and have ventured out and tryed to do many of the things
fire ( smoke in my case ) with a bow and drill is one of my main goals.
1) where is the best places to equip my self
2) what will i expect on the course
3) precourse what is the best things to try

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Well, I wrote up how I found the course.
http://www.bushcraftuk.co.uk/reviews/woodlore_fundamental.html
2 pages
and one page on kit that was useful
http://www.bushcraftuk.co.uk/articles/kit_notes.html

That was all on the Ashdown site, someone said that they no longer use that site...so site related stuff might not tie in with where you go.

I think I pretty much said all I could about the course. Thinking back I reckon that getting your fire by friction practice started early might not be a bad idea, that took some people a lot of time and made finding time for other tasks harder.

What time of year are you going and how long do you have before the course?

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Hello Clive

I really enjoyed this course, I think you will get a lot from it...

1) where is the best places to equip my self

One of the key aims of this course is to make you more confident to live outside with less gear, so don't go spending too much on gear now. However the one thing that I didnt have on the course which would have been handy was one of Bearclaw Bushcrafts M65 jackets (Cosy, fire-proof and lots of pockets!).

2) what will i expect on the course

The unexpected ;) It may be an urban myth but I'm led to believe that it is not possible to re-take this course, you are put under a bit of pressure, there is a lot to keep you busy and you will be tested at the course end.

3) precourse what is the best things to try

Try sleeping out in the gear your taking, a few folks were cold at night having presumed that what they had was sufficient.

The thing most people struggled with was making fire with a bow drill, but I reckon that was mostly bad technique something they will help you with.

Have fun!

grumit

Settler
Nov 5, 2003
guernsey
hi clive if you have read c claycombs note's you are well prepaired i have done the course and the only problem i had was to many clothes you will love the course and when finished if you are like me take weeks to settle back to nornal life have fun :)

Kim

Nomad
Sep 6, 2004
Birmingham
Hi Clive,

Be prepared to be busy and tired, dirty and frustrated, challenged and encouraged, expect to laugh a lot, to get annoyed because something you're trying isn't going right, but know that you'll feel like you're on top of the world when something does...when you're wonky spoon that actually resembles something that hasn't been invented yet, is the best thing you've ever made in your life, because you carved it!

However it's going for you, there's always someone else around who can help you, or needs help themselves.

It's genius Clive, enjoy. :)

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
Kim is spot on Clive, I can tell you she really "loves" the bow drill ;) :D - I'm sure you'll have the time of your life! You'll find out that you really aren't a nutt with a defect: (as you've seen already on this forum) there are lots more ;) - You'lll be there with like minded people - which is completely brill!!

Make sure though, that you bring a rucksack - and everything you bring fits IN it. Add plenty of bin bags to keep your stuff dry, don't bring loads of stuff - keep it simple ;) During my course I would loved to have better waterproofs ... :rolleyes:
Read the reviews by C_Claycomb, I wished I'd read them before I went on my course - they are worth gold!!

Don't forget to bring a photocamera ;)

Have a great time and let us know how it all went, what you've learnt etc.

All the best,
Johan
Really ... I am not jealous at all ... :rolleyes: ...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE