Fun Projects?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shinken

Native
Nov 4, 2005
cambs
I am thinking of running a little craft toolbox at my church, and i was thinking about some small fun things that we could carve/make. I have access to a woodland, with oak/elder/softwood/lime/+other tree's.

One project i have is whistles, which i think is fun as you can experiment and see what different sounds you can get etc.

Anything else you peeps can think of would be a great help?

thanks alot!:)

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
is this for others to have a go at?

if so whimmy diddles are a hit with with the kids (was asked by a lad I had made one for about 2 years ago why it had stopped working on the weekend...)

also bull roarers are an easy make and are fun to decorate for all ages and abilitys

takjaa

May 20, 2010
Hampshire, England
what about willow? you could weave/twist some stars or fish they always go down well! and arnt hard to make! iv gota go out now but later when i get back (if the old brain remembers to do so) ill do a picture tutorial for you,
birch bark containers?
weeping willow baskets?
willow bird feedes? again i may be able to provide a picture tutorial, (these look super cool and take no real effot or time.)
tension tray?
what about woodland pencils? . . cut a stick, drill a hole, insert glue + lead, blow 4 a little bit then sharpen!! again may be able to
provide a picture tutorial but not till later
good luck hope this helps

takjaa

May 20, 2010
Hampshire, England
im sorry iv taken so long, my willow has dried out and will need a few days to soak and mellow, im going to try and do it with craft straws to give you idea then you can see how its all done and show others :)

veg row markers length of green wood ie hazel etc thumb diameter 1 stretched hand span long. ring and peel the bark of the lower half and sharpen to a point

carve a flat on the upper half to write the veg name on and carve teh top into a ball or what ever you fancy i usually do a thinner one with no name flat forthe other end marker

a staff 4-6ft long can be carves and knotched etc as a plant / seed spacing rod an other pair of with some string wrapped on as a row line

hazel will last maybe 2 seasons before it rots but easy to make a few a year

ATB

Duncan

Last edited:

takjaa

May 20, 2010
Hampshire, England
hey sorry for the long delay :s
right the craft straws did not work out to well so iv done it in willow for you, it may take me a short while to insert pix and write it up but an easy tutorial or 2 will be here by lunchtime today :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE