Full Tang, Scandi, £40 is it possible?

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
OK, so to put a new slant on this. could we get a scandi blank (woodlore ish) that requires no work and slab and cloth it ourselves. (I have Glue and slabs and the leatherworking equipment so we can discount that cost) would just be the cost of the leather and blank?

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
To go to the extreme - you could buy a ratty old file, forge it into a blade (or even just grind it to shape) heat treat it, make a handle and sew a sheath for oh....about a fiver.
If you have the time, tools, physical ability and inclination!

However - I think the original post was about buying "off the shelf" and usable "out of the box".
From what I hear and read - there aint no full tang scandi that does all that yet available (that I know of at least!) :)

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham
Have you tried FYGT? I understand he's pretty busy setting back up after moving, but worth a go.
if you can get one of his kits, that will also fit the criteria.
also try rob evans, he is such a nice bloke to deal with, maybe he could do something.

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham
OK, so to put a new slant on this. could we get a scandi blank (woodlore ish) that requires no work and slab and cloth it ourselves. (I have Glue and slabs and the leatherworking equipment so we can discount that cost) would just be the cost of the leather and blank?
fgyt doeas a kit for 38 with pins and liners for 38, and his stuff is outstanding, i love his work.
as for the sheath well, you are going to struggle to get one made for 2 quid lol, so to summarize you can get a blank for that but with out clothes, or you could buy the condor, and put in a little work on the regrind, and you have the clothes two.
i think this knife is very underrated for the money, and i really rate the 1075 steel, if you speak to a maker called make me this Chris, I'm sure he will echo my opinions about the steel.

Last edited:

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
...also try rob evans, he is such a nice bloke to deal with, maybe he could do something.

I think it will be a struggle for him to get under 40 quid, one of his Bushtools is over a hundred, but he's better placed to comment than we are. Yes, he is a good bloke to deal with. :)

...as for the sheath well, you are going to struggle to get one made for 2 quid lol...

A couple of quid is what it would cost a manufacturer in mass production quantities. Yes you're going to struggle if you ask a maker here to make one for that. The last one I bought here (from rancidbadger) was just under thirty. But it's a lovely piece (and incidentally it's in daily use).

Forgive me if it seems I'm lighting fires, but sometimes I get the feeling there's a certain amount of snobbery around blades. ...

You have a point, and I think your motor car analogy is a good one. I probably wouldn't have said snobbery, but most people like to show off their stuff, especially if it was expensive. :) It doesn't really bother me if people want to spend a lot of money on their hobbies although I do sometimes feel that it would be nice if they directed more of their discretionary outgoings to worth-while charities. It does bother me if people coming to the forum for the first time to take a look get the impression that you have to spend a fortune to be taken seriously and get started. I've said that sort of thing here in the past. After all, living off the land is essentially a totally cost-free pastime. That's what the ancients did in the stone age. They didn't have Goretex. Crucible powder steels didn't exist. Instead of a Vango they'd have a mango.

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham
I think it will be a struggle for him to get under 40 quid, one of his Bushtools is over a hundred, but he's better placed to comment than we are. Yes, he is a good bloke to deal with. :)

A couple of quid is what it would cost a manufacturer in mass production quantities. Yes you're going to struggle if you ask a maker here to make one for that. The last one I bought here (from rancidbadger) was just under thirty. But it's a lovely piece (and incidentally it's in daily use).

You have a point, and I think your motor car analogy is a good one. I probably wouldn't have said snobbery, but most people like to show off their stuff, especially if it was expensive. :) It doesn't really bother me if people want to spend a lot of money on their hobbies although I do sometimes feel that it would be nice if they directed more of their discretionary outgoings to worth-while charities. It does bother me if people coming to the forum for the first time to take a look get the impression that you have to spend a fortune to be taken seriously and get started. I've said that sort of thing here in the past. After all, living off the land is essentially a totally cost-free pastime. That's what the ancients did in the stone age. They didn't have Goretex. Crucible powder steels didn't exist. Instead of a Vango they'd have a mango.
well i spoke to rob yesterday, and i'm not going to say what we discussed but for a blank ready to handle my self, it was very reasonable, no where near 100 pound mate.

not a cost free pastime it was the essential of living and they had to spend a lot of time and effort to do it (no holidays or lay ins etc )

modern times Time is money so we exchange our time at some thing we are good at for money then exchange the money for things we arnt good at or cant make grow etc

teh Gortex was animal skin and im sure it takes less time to earn the money (in most cases) to buy a Gortex Jket than teh time it takes to make the hunting tools hunt and kill the the animal then make the processing tools to process the skin and make the tools and thread to make the garment ;)

ATB

Duncan

ged

Jul 16, 2009
not a cost free pastime it was the essential of living...

You're quite right Duncan, of course it was about what was essential.

But my point is that it was about the ordinary every day aspects of living. It wasn't about showing off your disposable income, which is at least a part of what's happening when somebody spends several hundred quid on an O1 bushie and then posts pictures of it on this forum.

Don't you agree?

ged

Jul 16, 2009
well i spoke to rob yesterday, and i'm not going to say what we discussed but for a blank ready to handle my self, it was very reasonable, no where near 100 pound mate.

Sure, but the OP asked about a complete knife and, specifically, with a sheath. I understand that just a blank will cost a lot less. In fact many blanks used by makers here are production items, the handle and the sheath can add greatly to the cost.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!

But my point is that it was about the ordinary every day aspects of living. It wasn't about showing off your disposable income, which is at least a part of what's happening when somebody spends several hundred quid on an O1 bushie and then posts pictures of it on this forum.

Don't you agree?

I dont think it its showing off, but just saying check this out, like you might with friends of skin an bone? but then every one knows the more you spend on a knife the better it is:rolleyes::p, gonna have to ask for a condor for my BIRTHDAY this MONTH now to have a play.

Shinken

Native
Nov 4, 2005
cambs
Forgive me if it seems I'm lighting fires, but sometimes I get the feeling there's a certain amount of snobbery around blades. My mora classic couldn't be simpler or cheaper, neither could my Svord peasant knife. But I rate them as good knives. They're both easy to keep Sharp. Cut very well. And they're comfortable to use.

However I'm not using them 24/7 and to be honest I very much doubt the vast majority of us do. So under these circumstances a cheaper knife may frustrate an expert, however for casual use is it really worth shelling out the extra dosh? To extend your analogy; I don't need a ferrari to get me to work and back when my fiesta does a fine job for a lot less cash. Sure I don't feel like a playboy millionaire whilst driving it, but it does what I ask of it reliably.

Mora's are fine.

Mora is a ford focus, get good mileage out of it
Condor is the square box car

It is i dont think knife snobbery, you can have fantastic cheap non custom knives ((of which the Mora is a good example)

You can also get poor though out and poorly executed cheap knives (of which the condor is a good example)

Hopefully the new model condor is improved

Last edited:

Don't you agree?

I do understand where your coming from but they did flash the Bling in the past just look at a few Hoard finds of jewelry and weaponry even stoneage man did

I always get asked (bout every 5 mins ) on my stand at the Wilderness gathering what knife do i Need for bushcraft and i always point across the way to the stall selling Moras and say one of them bout £12 will do you fine (heres mine ;) )

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE