Full Tang, Scandi, £40 is it possible?

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
A friend of mine asked me a question, As above,

With a £40 budget

Can I get Full Tang, Scandi Ground, With a sheath?

I think not....................................

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham
i have the other version of this, and its fantastic, it needs a bit of tlc on the handle, and to get the grind done, but when you have done that its a fantastic knife, i really rate the steel i think its 1075, it hold a great edge, and gets very very sharp.

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham
yeh its the bottem one you have put up, i did not see that, and the sheath is great, its one of the only knifes that i have bought that i have not made a sheath for.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
found a postable pic, the top one i linked is the 5"
4828.jpg

and this is the lower both from condor at Hennie Haynes.
4941.jpg

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham
this is what mine looks like after i spent some time on it.

026 by lucky_lee, on Flickr

024 by lucky_lee, on Flickr

022 by lucky_lee, on Flickr

021 by lucky_lee, on Flickr

019 by lucky_lee, on Flickr
i have seriously hammered mine, give it a right pasting, because of the money it costs i tend to tun to this for any heavy battoning or rough work, and it has taken all my abuse admirably, and still looks good for lots more.
i can recommend this knife and its sheath, as you lot probably no, i make a lot of leather goods, and the sheath for this knife is fantastic, for the money, this knife is out standing, you do have to put some time into it, but when you have the end result is great, the next, mod I'm going to make it to take the ricasso back to the edge of the scales, as i think its to long, and you are loosing a bit of knife due to this, but for 30 pound delivered to your door, what more can you ask for.
i hope this helps with you choosing one mate, but i cant find a better knife at that price, you could always go cheaper, and go with a Mora, another fantastic knife for the money.

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Pignut said:
With a £40 budget

Can I get Full Tang, Scandi Ground, With a sheath?

Of course you can. A small mass-produced carbon steel blade shouldn't cost more than a couple of quid. Add a couple of quid for a handle and another for a cheap sheath, a reasonable markup for maker and seller and you're still well within the region of ten to twenty pounds, like some of the Moras for example. But it must depend on what you're prepared to accept.

I have a knife which meets that description (I call it my 'camp knife'). It's even stainless, although it's only 440A. It's quite big, with a heavy, broad, big-bellied blade getting on for 7" long, and tip heavy so it will chop quite well. It stays in the tail pack for my motorcycle. Near the bottom, I hardly ever use it. At the time I got it I didn't even think it was a cheap knife, I think it was about 35 pounds. That sounds very modest now.

I think to a degree we've been had by some of the sellers. I don't mean by the craftsmen here, because I know how much work goes into some of the individually hand made pieces. I have several of those and to be honest I'm not sure I'd want to work as hard as that for the money they make on them. But when you can get a tolerably good machete from South America for a tenner, I have difficulty seeing how the knives that Southey linked to (which look to have very similar construction to the Tramontinas that I own) should be costing as much money as they're asking for them at Heinnie's.

luckylee said:
this is what mine looks like after i spent some time on it.

Nice work. Looks good. :)

Last edited:

Shinken

Native
Nov 4, 2005
cambs
Of course you can. A small mass-produced carbon steel blade shouldn't cost more than a couple of quid. Add a couple of quid for a handle and another for a cheap sheath, a reasonable markup for maker and seller and you're still well within the region of ten to twenty pounds, like some of the Moras for example. But it must depend on what you're prepared to accept.

But there are no mass produced full tang scandi's. Apart from Mora ones and they are about £20 just for the blade.

To make one requires a lot of time, id use up a couple of grinding belts on making a knife and they are 3+quid each. Thats without labour, steel, pins, glue, leather, thread, electric, shop rates, sand paper etc etc

I know you said it is different for craftsmen, but it still gives an idea

Last edited:

Shinken

Native
Nov 4, 2005
cambs
I am only jesting mate,

You can get one for under £40. But you cannot get a usable one that needs no work doing.

Would be fun to make it a good knife though as above.

I would remove the scales, re-grind and re-profile the blade. then put some good handle material on. Thats just me though and my opinion. Each to there own

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
I am only jesting mate,

You can get one for under £40. But you cannot get a usable one that needs no work doing.

Would be fun to make it a good knife though as above.

I would remove the scales, re-grind and re-profile the blade. then put some good handle material on. Thats just me though and my opinion. Each to there own

Don't get it, why isn't it usable? It won't cut? It won't sharpen?

Shinken

Native
Nov 4, 2005
cambs
Don't get it, why isn't it usable? It won't cut? It won't sharpen?

It will, Also a square box shape care will re-fuel and get you where you want to go. It will however do half the miles to the gallon and with it's square chairs be unconfortable.

LOL

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
It will, Also a square box shape care will re-fuel and get you where you want to go. It will however do half the miles to the gallon and with it's square chairs be unconfortable.

LOL

Forgive me if it seems I'm lighting fires, but sometimes I get the feeling there's a certain amount of snobbery around blades. My mora classic couldn't be simpler or cheaper, neither could my Svord peasant knife. But I rate them as good knives. They're both easy to keep Sharp. Cut very well. And they're comfortable to use.

However I'm not using them 24/7 and to be honest I very much doubt the vast majority of us do. So under these circumstances a cheaper knife may frustrate an expert, however for casual use is it really worth shelling out the extra dosh? To extend your analogy; I don't need a ferrari to get me to work and back when my fiesta does a fine job for a lot less cash. Sure I don't feel like a playboy millionaire whilst driving it, but it does what I ask of it reliably.

Last edited:

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Easy fellas!!

To be fair the condore does tick all the boxes of the origional question

Regards

Lynx

Nomad
Jun 5, 2010
Wellingborough, Northants
To be fair the condore does tick all the boxes of the origional question

Providing you factor in the cost of the regrind because believe me you will need one. I have a Condor Bushlore also and agree with everything that's been said about them. Sort that grind and you will have a good knife.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE