Full-tang Mora

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Like it or loathe it... a Mora knife is a value knife that does the job, but doesn't break the bank.

As shown above, Mark will make a similar custom blade blank for around £60... it'll cost less than £20 for the materials to put a handle on it... you have a custom full tang knife for less than a Mora full tang that even by its best description looks like its been designed as a movie prop on a low budget film about America's involvement in the Korean war.

What Mora have produced is no doubt a functional full tang knife, but I fail to see the advantage of it when the price difference between that and their companion knife is going to be £100. I can buy a decent axe, an axe 'bag' and a reasonable firesteel, and still have change for a bag of chips... and buy a brand new companion... then make a phone call to the speaking clock from a phone box... all before I meet up with the price of the new full tang Mora.

Alternatively I could buy a professionally crafted blade blank from Mark, attach a nice wooden handle to it and still have enough left to buy a shoulder of leather, dye, needles, thread, a D ring and make my own sheath... and still have enough for a Mars bar and a can of Fanta.

And before someone pipes up with "you need a full tang to batten wood"... may I add, not if you have an axe or a machete or a billhook. All of which are a damn sight cheaper than a full tang Mora... and you're less likely to be sick looking at an axe handle than you are the new Mora one.

philaw

Settler
Nov 27, 2004
Hull, East Yorkshire, UK.
I bought my first fixed blade knife (the green mora) from ray mears website ten years ago, thinking I would soon move on to something else. I've hardly used another knife since then. Every other knife seems blunter and unnecessarily heavy, but I always wanted something that was just a tiny bit more solid, because I once broke mine batoning and had to repair it. This one looks ideal for me. I live in the tropics, so stainless is a winner. The tang is big and solid, but fully enclosed in a grippy and weatherproof handle. It's not too thin or too thick. It looks like it could take moderate batoning. The pommel could be used to break nuts/ pound fibres etc. I like the mora plastic sheaths because I trust them more than a leather not to drop the knife. Between the plastic and stainless, this will also still be very hygienic for food use. The reviewer in the video pointed out that that the price is MSRP, which is different from final selling price. Let's see what it sells for once all the stockists have it and the early adopters have had their turn.

philaw

Settler
Nov 27, 2004
Hull, East Yorkshire, UK.
morakniv have always been recommended as great value, which is another way of saying they've been under charging. This one looks like it's built to the same standard as knives like the F1 and it's not surprising that mora wants a similar price for it.

Idleknight

Forager
Aug 14, 2013
United Kingdom, Near Hinckley
I can see why mora have done it, once you read any reviews about them or watch any videos, the lack of full tang is always mentioned. It makes sense to expand their business in that area. Will have to wait and see what price it is in the UK. Also I am sure they will be dozens of reviews soon enough. I have a cheap old mora and a highQ, I've spent more money on folding blades as I use them more.

artschool

Forager
Sep 14, 2014
chester
morakniv have always been recommended as great value, which is another way of saying they've been under charging. This one looks like it's built to the same standard as knives like the F1 and it's not surprising that mora wants a similar price for it.

agree, lets all pray that they don't price hike the companion.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE