FULL TANG KNIFE WITH 10 CM BLADE ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Yes, they have coconuts all over Norway.
The furthest northern Coconut palm was in the Lofoten Islands ( above the Arctic circle) but it died.

No clue where the steel is made, or the sheet steel, but from making the blanks to a finished blade they are made in the Helle factory in western Norway.

Like with every product, we have zero knowledge about where the components are from.

As you surely know, Mercedes Benz used to be a pure German car.
Today not so much.
Porsche Cayenne is an excellent Slovakian car!

The Birch handles could be made from (very excellent) Russian timber.
Rough shaped in Pyongyang. Who knows?

Reactions: Erbswurst

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I've possibly mentioned it but what about a Schrade Small Frontier?
schf56-schrade-small-frontier-full-tang-fixed-blade-knife.jpg

I'm not right keen on the tacticool black blade but generally a decent shape. Looks like replacing the handle scales would be dead easy if or when you added wood instead. And currently its 21 quid from blades.co.uk.
Other than the black blade, I quite like the look of it to the point where Ive considered buying one but really, I have quite enough knives already.
Type Fixed
Edge Plain
Blade Material High-Carbon
Measurements
Blade Length 3.48" 8.8cm
Overall Length 8.23" 20.9cm
Weight 8oz 226.8 grams
Materials
Adv. Blade Material 1095
Handle Material TPE

i've been following this thread with interest as i lost my 5 most-used knives +pocketboy in an armed robbery:cussing::cussing::cussing: last february. currently i'm low on cash and have to focus on other projects:( but i hope to be able to replace my fixed blade this year (which was an F1) -- shipping +import costs to here can be ridiculous, though.... . an F1 looks so far my favourite but another possible candidate would be the Benchmade 200 puukko

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Perhaps I should try the Helle Knive.
The Helle Harding was the most convincing fix blade knive I ever had and the new full tang knife looks pretty similar.

unfortunately i'm not in Japan anymore :cry: --it's already 4years since i had to leave.... ; i added "" central america "" under " location" and also mentioned it in a few posts but it may have been missed out ( as they say in my spirit home: "" no worries , mate! "";) )
"" knife" over here means the local "" Jack of all trades --master of none" " a.k.a. "machete" or the crappiest kitchen knives on the planet -- good knives are as common as hens teeth here and the nearest Fallkniven dealer a few hours by plane away in Mexico City:eek::banghead:

the F1 i had was a gift from the official dealer in Japan (his personal knife)...

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
So virtually next for to me!

Have you tried Tramontina brand?
I have. :)
My gardeners use them. I hear the sound of a stone on the iron blade every 5 minutes when they work.
Note: iron. Not steel. Soft as an overripe banana!

They do not make any knives for the wilderness...Thank the Gods!

As you are happy to import from abroad, you might as well buy something from Japan, or the US?
Or get some braces of Moras?

Sorry to inch ‘off topic’!

Last edited:

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
I love off topic so far it stays somehow connected to the opening post.

@forrestdweller
CONDOR seems to produce interesting inexpensive knifes in El Salvador.

I can't see any reasons to import one to Europe, because our best knife makers are sitting next door. But perhaps you are able to convince a local dealer to import that knifes for you.

That would surely help to develop the bushcraftism in central America and so it would be an honorable deed.

CONDOR Bushlore and Terrasaur,
Swamp Romper and Mountain Knife

https://www.knivesandtools.de/de/ct...5TpGJ6-NtugalO3QeIly4d9RmBz9dHVhoCt4QQAvD_BwE

Last edited:
the only Tramontina product i've seen here is a crappy copy of a "" green river" " knife -- the two common machete brands here are "corneta" and "imacasa" -- both which are interestingly owned/founded by companies from solingen.... . "imacasa" is as far as i know the mother company of "condor" but i haven't encountered any of their products here -- their parangs would be a better choice for jungle trips than those crappy machetes everyone else uses (i'm sure overripe bananas are harder)....

unfortunately the government holds their hands wide open every time an item gets shipped into the country but the only alternative is flying overseas and buy there (and i know if folks who have done that to save a bit of money....)
right now i'm low on funds but hopefully that will improve at some points this year (and i can replace my stolen tools)....

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Checked the site, and they seem to like to harden the steel to 50-55 HRC.
I guess closer to 50 than 55.
Do not use to cut a 24 month aged Parmegiano..... more suitable for cutting Queso Fresco!

What is your duty?
Here, on normal goods, we pay 22% on the purchase cost plus shipping (plus Insurance)

Which reminds me I need to watch the new Dracula on BBC! Supposed to be good.

it depends on the product but it's over 50% (recently i checked a monocular on amazon: costs 10us$, import cost was listed at over 16us$) -- no wonder folks fly overseas to buy stuff...

50HRC seems wwaayyss more realistic for machetes(mozzarella should be within their cutting abilities), tools in general aren't overwhelming quality wise here... But i do like Danny Trejo's instructional movies about proper machete use:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Dracula was a bloodsucker, too so he has something in common with a lot of today's politicians:smuggrin::rolleyes:

Reactions: Janne

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
In this case, @Forestdweller , I would look for a piece of steel and make the knife myself.

I had a look at the Muela Kodiak in a hunter's shop.
The knife looks very good but the leather sheath is totally nonsense:
The opening of the leather sheath is so wide, that it will rain into it. Obviously a Spanish product!
The sheath has a metal snap, a press button, at the wrong place and the edge will touch it always if you put the knife in or out. The knife will become dull immediately.
Incredible, that they produce such a good knife and deliver it with such an idiotic sheath. For me that's a good reason to let the knife in the shop.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE