Full tang inspired by the Spyderco native.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dave Barker

Nomad
Sep 15, 2003
Norway
www.brukskniver.net
As some of you will already know, my first spyderco Knife was a native.

I liked the way the knife sat in my hand, the way it would handle slose up work, the ease of sharpening... pretty much everything... even SWMBO likes it:D

So i got to thinking about why this is not made into a small knife... full tang style.

I spoke with Sal via mail several times and asked his permission to have a blade mad up in the style of the native. He agreed, and had no problems with this as long as i did not use the hole, and as long as i gave Spyderco credit for the design.

So... i looked around, and ended up asking Stuard M if he was good enough to make this blade for me, from a drawing.

He laughed at me.... ( so i took this as a yes....) and i sent the drawing off.

Now a coupe of weeks ago i got the blade in the post, and it has been temting me to make it up ever since.... so at the weekend i got the chance to do it.

The blade is a little deeper than the Spyderco Native, and the steel is o1 and 4 mm thick.

Blade length etc are around about the same though.

I didn't want to copy it completely though, and dismissed the idea of using micarta or blackwood ( i don't like micarta and the blackwood i have is a monster bit) so i opted for some nice wavy Amboina burl.

It is fixed with glue and 2 brass pins,

So here are the pics, I am not going to call it a Spyderco, because it is not, it does not fold, it is a lot thicker all round, and it is not made by Spyderco. i will say that the knife is made BASED on the Spyderco native, but with a little of Stuart m and me involved.

I am not sure however how to sheath this.... it looks a bit awkward to me.

Picture time......

The knife on its own.

[HIDE]
spydie1.jpg
[/HIDE]

The knife with the REAL native as a comparison...

[HIDE]
spydie2.jpg
[/HIDE]

TOP and Bottom

[HIDE]
spydie3.jpg
[/HIDE]

[HIDE]
spydie4.jpg
[/HIDE]

The marks on the blade are sweaty fingers.......not cured oil.

It has been oiled once with junkers rustic oil and will have at least another 3 or 4 dippings before a wax finished.

This was a real challenge for me though, lack of powertool use made this very very hard going on the underside. But it was worth it.

Not sure what to do sheath wise though, belt or neck?

As always thanks for looking , comments welcome.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE