Fuel Hoarding

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
I went out to the post office today at lunch time. Was gobsmacked to see the local BP garage queuing back onto the dual carriageway and blocking my path to the posty. I later read its the coalition advising us to fill up.

So has anyone else felt the urge to leg it and fill their tanks?

Im thinking those jerry cans on military mart are looking good value if the wheels do fall off the distribution process. Whats the odds on them selling out within the week lol

mace242

Native
Aug 17, 2006
Yeovil, Somerset, UK
Just filled up at Tesco. It was packed. I didnt listen to the politicians as was going to fill up anyway. What was anoying is that a penny got added to the cost since lunchtime.

hiho

Native
Mar 15, 2007
South Yorkshire
my local morrisons will be losing custom. as if i can't get in to park my car for the idiots filling up i'm not going in. (pass on way home)
but i have topped my tank as it was empty after i'd finished today.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
I will admit I was reading a thread over on Airguns BBS last night at about midnight about panic buying. I had a quick think and got out of bed and nipped round to our local garage which was deserted. Three quarters of the pumps were closed off and seeing as how my van was almost empty I filled up £120 worth of diesel.

Now I am glad I did as on my travels today the queue's were terrible and several places were dry including my local garage. I would not have bothered with my midnight fuel run normally but I'm off to Wales on Saturday for a bit of camping and could not risk having an empty tank as people are relying on me and my van for transporting kit!

Steve.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I tend to have about a 100lt in 20lt fuel cans just in case and I've got about 140lt of cooking oil so between the two i'll be able to get the landy about ok, especially in the summer with it being warmer. Maybe I should have filled up today when I was in town though, it's 20 miles away from where we live so it's not easy to just chuck in some fuel...

personaly i am more a prepper than a bush craft man so the 400 litres i had stored up before my unemployment in november would have come in very handy right about now , except that due to being unemployed i have all ready used it up!!

most people could do with having a few litres just in case.

can i just mention tho , and i am sure many willl argue the point, those that are going to store petrol or diesel, it will as it were go off within a three month period without fuel treatment,

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
If anyone is interested the HSE say this...
[h=3]"What is the limit of the amount of petrol I can store for domestic use?[/h] The Petroleum Spirit (Motor Vehicles etc.) Regulations 1929 and the Petroleum Spirit (Plastic Containers) Regulations 1982 limit the amount of petrol that can be kept in a domestic garageor within six metres of a building (e.g. most domestic driveways). The limit is a maximum of two suitable metal containers each of a maximum capacity of ten litres and two plastic containers (which have to be of an approved design) each of a maximum capacity of five litres. These limits also apply to any containers kept in a vehicle parked in the garage or on the driveway (but not to the internal fuel tank of the vehicle). Under no circumstances should the petrol containers be stored in the home itself.
Anyone who wishes to store larger quantities than this, or use larger containers, is required to notify the local Petroleum Licensing Authority (PLA) and to store the petrol in a prescribed manner set out in the 1929 Regulations mentioned above - enquirers who want further details should contact their local PLA. Storage of more than 275 litres (60 gallons) of petrol requires a petrol licence - again, contact the local PLA."

and

[h=3]"How should I store diesel and what quantity am I allowed?[/h] There are no specific legal requirements on how to store diesel or the quantity allowed either in workplaces or domestic premises. It is not, from a health and safety point of view, a particularly hazardous substance within the meaning of the Dangerous Substances and Explosive Atmospheres Regulations 2002 - its vapour flash point is too high. This means that its vapour will not ignite at normal room temperatures.
That said, there are some general issues you'll need to take into account:

• no 'hotwork' should be performed on the vessel unless it is emptied and purged of any remaining vapour.
  • the drum should be positioned away from any source of direct heat.
  • the drum should be located in an area where there is no risk of collision with vehicles, fork-lift trucks etc. (diesel splashing onto a hot engine will probably ignite).
  • leaks and spills should be contained to the vicinity of the drum and mopped up quickly, to lessen the risk of slipping.
  • refilling and dispensing activities need to take account of manual handling issues etc.
While diesel is not a particularly dangerous substance from a health and safety point of view, it is an environmental hazard, with considerable clean-up costs if it should leak into a drain, watercourse or the soil. You may, therefore, wish to contact the Environment Agency for further information"

Extracts taken from http://www.hse.gov.uk/fireandexplosion/petroleum-faqs.htm#filling

colly

Forager
Apr 10, 2010
Edenbridge Kent
any day now my new van will arrive with £10 of fuel in it.
i obviously don't want to fill my current van up as it is part ex. for the deal.
with people buying all the fuel up when i can get to fill my van will there be any left?
don't forget before they strike they have to give seven days notice.
how many people with half a tank now queuing up will need to refill before a strike?

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
yup - veggie oil rules:)

Normally I buy it because its cheaper than diesel, but if no diesel available, I'll always be able to get fuel for the Musso!

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Diesel mix... 50/50. They where originally designed to run on oil rather that fuel.

I think it has to be an older engine though. My pug 106 ran about 70 oil/30 derv but the fuel filter was like a block of lard on changes :)

Had a mate that ran used, filtered chip oil. Only problem he had was a severe attack of the munchies at every traffic lights stop.

Last edited:

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
I can run the Musso on 100% new (not recycled) veggie oil (not during the winter though - run it 70-30 oil/diesel then). I put in a second fuel filter - most needed in the first few fills as the oil clears out a lot of muck from the tank. 20,000 miles and no problems - runs smoother and cleaner, but smells like a chip wagon if you're behind it:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE