Frost River Isle Royale

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Noticed interest in Frost River packs of late, this is the full size Isle Royale, not the Jr.

IMG_0280_zps180f278a.jpg

Everything I need to comfortably camp is in the pack... with Wetterling Backcountry Axe, Sven 15" saw, cook kit, and one liter of water, 30 lbs.

IMG_0282_zps9675ac83.jpg

I like my pack to appear full and hold its shape while hiking, and comfortably padded against my back.

IMG_0283_zpse749600d.jpg

This is how I make sure the full size Isle Royale is always the correct size for my kit. Therm-A-Rest BaseCamp R 72" x 20" x 2" regular, allowed to inflate after bag is packed. Plenty of padding for my back, pack is rigid and holds its shape, no unnecessary weight added.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
That is a fine looking pack. I had a rugged river pack(Sam, Man o" Tanith has it now)& i used to pack it the same, with the same thermarest mattress.

Rob

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds
Resurrecting this thread rather than starting a new one for a single question:

Could someone with either the Isle Royale or Isle Royale Jr tell me if the front pockets are large enough to hold a Crusader cup and water bottle, please? I've checked the measurements and it seems just about OK, but I suspect that it will be too tight a fit if the pack is full.

MertzMan

Settler
Apr 25, 2012
Cambs and Lincs
How does Canvas hold up over time? Particularly in regards to mould etc... I love the look but can't help but feeling they will mould up over hard use with time in the field.

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
I use canvas all the time when canoeing and as long as you dry it (well, leave it somewhere to dry) mould will not be an issue. I'm not particularly careful with my kit but these canvas packs are sound. They can be bought waxed which helps with shedding water.

DSCF2576.jpg

P9220044_zpse2ef4ef1.jpg

hth,

Alan

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
I've for the isle royale senior, did a review on it on here not long ago. Absolutely top notch pack takes wet weather very well, just brilliant! I must say I do love the nessmuk pack and will have to not buy it, although it is my birthday in April! :)

I've for the isle royale senior, did a review on it on here not long ago. Absolutely top notch pack takes wet weather very well, just brilliant! I must say I do love the nessmuk pack and will have to not buy it, although it is my birthday in April! :)
Man I thought I pushed my luck on my birthday.......

A mate has the nessmuk.....I covet it immensely

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
How does Canvas hold up over time? Particularly in regards to mould etc... I love the look but can't help but feeling they will mould up over hard use with time in the field.

It tends to be poor storage that introduces mould to canvas - mine never have long enough in storage to suffer....

Nohoval_Turrets

Sep 28, 2004
Ireland
Nice pack. What's that thing on the end of the Sven saw? Some sort of cap? Mine didn't come with one, and I'm always concerned it's going to chew up the material of my pack. It hasn't yet mind you.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE