Frost Mora Handle.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Steve R

Forager
Jan 29, 2007
Lincolnshire UK
Being very happy with my Frost Mora, I decided to try and personalise one a little.

Plastic handle cut off, shapes made for tang, wood (mahogony) epoxied on.

P4300007.JPG

Roughly shaped.

P4300008.JPG

Finished, side.

P5130013.JPG

Finished, edge.

P5130014.JPG

Not the best handle in the world I admit, but I am happy with the attempt, and it fits my hand nicely.

Now for a sheath, a little more challenging I think.

Steve R

Forager
Jan 29, 2007
Lincolnshire UK
Actually its not really as glossy as it looks in the pic, kind of matt with a rough-ish texture, I think its the camera flash making it shine more.

Goliath

Forager
Jun 19, 2006
Netherlands
That's nice :) Was it hard to remove the handle and how did you put the parts together? Only with epoxy?

By the way, now you should make a nice leather sheath :p

Steve R

Forager
Jan 29, 2007
Lincolnshire UK
To remove the handle I used a hacksaw blade, hard work. (I did, however, remember to grip the knife point up in the vice with the sharp edge facing away from me :D )

Just epoxy and clamps.

The 'rivets' are pine dowel plugs, I tried to drill through but the tang is hardened, so I cheated.

Goliath

Forager
Jun 19, 2006
Netherlands
Ok, another question if you don't mind (might want to give this a try myself too, when I get a mora that is :p ).

Did you carve in both sides, or just in one side? How did you align it in the center?

Steve R

Forager
Jan 29, 2007
Lincolnshire UK
Carved both sides, aligned by marking a line parallel to each 'top'.

The pieces of mahogany I used were slightly wider than the blade width so it wasn’t so critical on the alignment. Sanding did the rest.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE