Frontier stove in a bell tent

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Aug 14, 2018
Idaho
Greetings all! I’m a new member and I’ve been reading some posts about people’s experiences with frontier stoves. I received mine yesterday and I’ve been experimenting with it - great little stove and I’m impressed that the door works so well to regulate air. I may undertake some other mods I’ve learned about in this community, but my question today has to do with placement of the stove inside a bell tent.

I see lots of setups with the stove on one side of the tent, but nothing with the stove in the center of the tent (in front of the main pole). Is there a reason why? It’s seems as though a central location would allow for more even heating, open up more floor space, allow easier access to fresh air (from the front door), and more stove pipe in the tent would mean more heat inside. Am I wrong? What are the downsides to central placement?

Thanks all!

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
All military bell tents have the stove centrally placed. I guess placing it to the side is tradition / old style?

Note: if you place it centrally then your pole should be metal. No fun waking up under a collapsed, burning tent!

For photos, do a search on ’förläggnings tält 12’ or ’militärtält 20’

Reactions: Mr Wolf and Mcm2176
Aug 14, 2018
Idaho
All military bell tents have the stove centrally placed. I guess placing it to the side is tradition / old style?

Note: if you place it centrally then your pole should be metal. No fun waking up under a collapsed, burning tent!

For photos, do a search on ’förläggnings tält 12’ or ’militärtält 20’
Thanks for the reply! Mine has a hefty metal center pole, and I was thinking of placing it about 12-18 inches away from the pole, to limit radiant heat on it.

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
I used to have mine central in my Helsport Varanger, as @Janne says though, metal pole ;) also be sure that the stove jack is up to the job, apart from that you should be good to go, welcome to the forum.

Reactions: Mcm2176

Sundowner

Jan 21, 2013
Northumberland
I've had a 4m bell tent with the old frontier stove . Do yourself a favour and put it it right next to the centre pole. I had mine on the side, unfortunately!! If it's really cold outside it'll clog up your flu and you get smoked in the bell. CLEAN THE FLU EVERY DAY!!!! Get some fire bricks, put them on top of stove and you can let the fire go out and still have heat. Just my 2 p's worth
20160405_183643.jpg

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Have been thinking: (Rare!!!!)

When they placed the stoves on the side in the 1800', maybe it was done to remove the heat source from the wooden pole in the middle.

(As you already know, Aluminium was very expensive before the 1890's. Unobtanium expensive.)

Last edited:
Reactions: Billy-o
Aug 14, 2018
Idaho
I've had a 4m bell tent with the old frontier stove . Do yourself a favour and put it it right next to the centre pole. I had mine on the side, unfortunately!! If it's really cold outside it'll clog up your flu and you get smoked in the bell. CLEAN THE FLU EVERY DAY!!!! Get some fire bricks, put them on top of stove and you can let the fire go out and still have heat. Just my 2 p's worth
View attachment 50137
Thank you for your insight. My 5m tent has the a jack on the side wall, and I considered it, but your experience confirmed my suspicion that it would make for poor draft.

I've had this set up on my patio for the last few days and have done several burns, experimenting with different woods (red oak, aspen, plum, lodgepole pine, fir), sizes of wood, arrangements, etc. - very little smoke and the flue has almost no residue. I am very impressed with this little stove so far.

Beautiful picture, by the way!

Aug 14, 2018
Idaho
Have been thinking: (Rare!!!!)

When they placed the stoves on the side in the 1800', maybe it was done to remove the heat source from the wooden pole in the middle.

(As you already know, Aluminium was very expensive before the 1890's. Unobtanium expensive.)
Unobtanium... ha! But maybe you're right, and that was the reason for the side-wall placement.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Our Frontier stove is set to one side of the tent.and works fine, has done for the past 8 years and has had regular use. It has been used in all weather from - 17 and up.

You should check the flue daily from a safety point of view and it only takes a minute, and only a minute to clean if required.

Thermally speaking you would benefit more from it being in the center of the tent as you will have more flue inside radiating heat. But there is more chance of burnt fingers, takes up more space and the stove is hot enough as it is.

Aug 14, 2018
Idaho
Our Frontier stove is set to one side of the tent.and works fine, has done for the past 8 years and has had regular use. It has been used in all weather from - 17 and up.

You should check the flue daily from a safety point of view and it only takes a minute, and only a minute to clean if required.

Thermally speaking you would benefit more from it being in the center of the tent as you will have more flue inside radiating heat. But there is more chance of burnt fingers, takes up more space and the stove is hot enough as it is.

Does you stove pipe exit through the side wall or through the roof?

promazine

Aug 8, 2015
United Kingdom
I use a toilet brush too! Also have a dust pan and brush to sweep up inside, although I have been considering a cordless mini vacuum to replace it

Back on topic though, I considered having my stove centrally placed in the bell tent. I decided to go to one side as while "practicing" fitting the flue through the silicone ring, I found it quite difficult. I figured it would be near impossible to do if the tent was already erected, and very tricky to get poked through just the right amount if done before the central pole was fitted.
It might be doable with 2 people, but as I am always putting it up by myself (the wife has to entertain the little ones so they don't try and help daddy) I decided to go the easy route.

So far it's been great - on full chat it's plenty warm enough over on the one side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
I guess it depends on the construction, but it should be fairly simple.
I have only experience from one tent with a central stove, a Swedish Army Tält 12 that did not have a central pole as the stove and smoke stack acted as a pole.
First you place the tent on the ground, flap closed.
Next is to fix the tent to the ground. Open flap, insert the assembled smoke stack. Have the stove ready.
Raise the tent using the smoke stack until vertical and rest on ground
Place stove right next to the vertical smoke stack. Raise the smoke stack together with tent, so you can insert the stove under.

Easier if you have a pole that raises the tent.

In that case, raise the tent fully. Assemble the smoke stack. Have stove close to the hole. Insert smoke stack through trnt, raise, place stove.

Does the stove or smoke stack have a device to prevent tiny embers flying out?
It should have something to prevent tent damage or worse!

Last edited:

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I use a toilet brush too! Also have a dust pan and brush to sweep up inside, although I have been considering a cordless mini vacuum to replace it

Back on topic though, I considered having my stove centrally placed in the bell tent. I decided to go to one side as while "practicing" fitting the flue through the silicone ring, I found it quite difficult. I figured it would be near impossible to do if the tent was already erected, and very tricky to get poked through just the right amount if done before the central pole was fitted.
It might be doable with 2 people, but as I am always putting it up by myself (the wife has to entertain the little ones so they don't try and help daddy) I decided to go the easy route.

So far it's been great - on full chat it's plenty warm enough over on the one side.

"practicing" I did the same and its a very nervous thing that first cut in your lovely new tent!

We have two little ones, 2 and 8 and we have converted an old fordable dog cage that will pack flat and protect all but the far rear of the stove. Not that it will be needed often but its peace of mind for very little pack space and weight.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
What kind of arrangement is planned to prevent the fabric getting scorched or burned by the chimney pipe?

The old tech is a fairly wide perforated metal collar fixed to the tent fabric, but I think they use silicone 'fabric' these days?

promazine

Aug 8, 2015
United Kingdom
Mine is made of 2 steel rings that clamp a silicone "tube" to the canvas. The flue goes through the silicone tube with a nice water tight fit.
It stands up to the heat too - had my flue cherry red (by accident one of the first times I used it) and it held up fine.

Reactions: Janne

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE