Frontier Bushcraft Course

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Cover a good few basics, and at £129 it's not overly pricey. Or you could get yourself along to a meet for a weekend and learn for a fraction of that.

GreenNomad

Tenderfoot
May 5, 2016
Hertfordshire
Cover a good few basics, and at £129 it's not overly pricey. Or you could get yourself along to a meet for a weekend and learn for a fraction of that.

Thanks Colin,

Perhaps a meet would be the best way to go then, I noticed the Suffolk meet 20-22nd May, I'll have to see if I can make it! Though closer to Hertfordshire would be handy, I'll keep my eye on the South East meet up's sub-forum.

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
Sorry, meant to say Sussex

Is there anything you would particularly like to learn or try out whilst you're at the Sussex meet.

Meets are are pretty informal gatherings so if you have something you have a burning ambition to try it would be best to mention it so those attending can volunteer to help you. I don't always bring all my gear to meets.

There are a number of knowledgable folk at the Sussex meets that would be prepared to provide some informal tuition.

GreenNomad

Tenderfoot
May 5, 2016
Hertfordshire
Is there anything you would particularly like to learn or try out whilst you're at the Sussex meet.

Meets are are pretty informal gatherings so if you have something you have a burning ambition to try it would be best to mention it so those attending can volunteer to help you. I don't always bring all my gear to meets.

There are a number of knowledgable folk at the Sussex meets that would be prepared to provide some informal tuition.

Since I'm really quite fresh to practicing bushcraft, I really need to learn the basics of fire making, shelter, water, food, knife use. This is why I thought the fundamentals course would be ideal since that way the course is fully prepared for the entire curriculum. I'm practical myself, I have been wildcamping and built and started my own teepee camp fire, cooked tinned food, practicing using only what I can find on the floor and using the ethos of 'Leave no trace', but it's time to build on this to create a real skill set.

Informal suits me fine, but I wouldn't want to be wasting anyone's time or expecting too much if it's realistically a more intermediate gathering

Dark Horse Dave

Apr 5, 2007
Surrey / South West London
I've done that Frontier course (and at a very favourable introductory price!) It was pretty full-on, and covered pretty much all your needs. I'd say it's worth serious consideration. You can of course learn the same stuff informally and in slower time at meets (and the Sussex lot are very Nice!) Or you could do both! You'll end up doing that anyway, as you wish to put your learning into practice.

Sent from my E2003 using Tapatalk

GreenNomad

Tenderfoot
May 5, 2016
Hertfordshire
I've done that Frontier course (and at a very favourable introductory price!) It was pretty full-on, and covered pretty much all your needs. I'd say it's worth serious consideration. You can of course learn the same stuff informally and in slower time at meets (and the Sussex lot are very Nice!) Or you could do both! You'll end up doing that anyway, as you wish to put your learning into practice.

Sent from my E2003 using Tapatalk

Thanks for your response Dave.

Yeah the course looks good, I think learning the fundamentals first would be more beneficial to the meets to be fair. I'd at least have have a foot in most the doors.

Idleknight

Forager
Aug 14, 2013
United Kingdom, Near Hinckley
Hello,
While I haven't done a frontier course I have heard very good things about them and you can see more of Paul Kirtley online or in the bushcraft magazine.

I would say it depends on your learning style, motivation, availability and free cash.
I am a slow learner with physical skills (work in tech not very hands on normally), I also don't have a lot of free time. So for me I booked a few courses, I also do a couple of events (wilderness gathering, bushcraft show), but mostly get out to practice on my own, which is mostly to relax so don't push my skills too much when on my own.

My advise would be to also look at an event like the wilderness gathering, as you can learn lot of stuff there. But also look for a local bushcraft buddy. I find having some local friends and meeting up can really help and you learn from each other. I want to get to more of the events listed on here, but never seem to be free.

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
I have done the 2-day Frontier Bushcraft course, and it was good. Very busy with lots to learn and try. If anything it over-ran a bit. However it is like learning anything else, learn the basics in a safe envirnoment, and then get to practice them yourself in your own time, where you can afford to concentrate in one area or activity if you need to. I think going along to a local meet up would be a good thing to try out as people on here will look after you I'm sure, so long as you approach them with an open mind.

GreenNomad

Tenderfoot
May 5, 2016
Hertfordshire
However it is like learning anything else, learn the basics in a safe envirnoment, and then get to practice them yourself in your own time, where you can afford to concentrate in one area or activity if you need to. I think going along to a local meet up would be a good thing to try out as people on here will look after you I'm sure, so long as you approach them with an open mind.

Exactly! Looks like the course is definitely worth it then, aiming to do the 1 day course, then as I said it will be a great way to move forward having learnt the basics.

bluey1610

Apr 30, 2012
uk
Have you looked up Woodland Ways? They have a woodland in Oxfordshire they use for some of their courses

Sent from my iPhone because I have an iPhone

GreenNomad

Tenderfoot
May 5, 2016
Hertfordshire
Have you looked up Woodland Ways? They have a woodland in Oxfordshire they use for some of their courses

I just had a look, looks good! It's slightly cheaper and closer to me as well. Have you or anyone else done the fundamentals course?

bluey1610

Apr 30, 2012
uk
Hi, no but I know the owners and everyone who has ever done a course always gives positive feedback and raves about the courses. We did a private fire lighting one with Jason and it was great.

GreenNomad

Tenderfoot
May 5, 2016
Hertfordshire
Hi, no but I know the owners and everyone who has ever done a course always gives positive feedback and raves about the courses. We did a private fire lighting one with Jason and it was great.

Great! Looks like I'll give it a shot then.

Thanks for your time Bluey

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
I've not done a Frontier bushcraft course (Am considering the canoe expedition course), but I can say that Paul Kirtley is very knowledgeable and is able to communicate that knowledge very well. If you look on youtube you will find his "ask Paul Kirtley" series of videos (29 at time of writing). He's answered a couple of questions I've asked and his communications style has made the answers really easy to understand.

Worth giving his course serious consideration.

J

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE