front room spoon carving

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

DoctorSpoon

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 24, 2007
Peak District
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Whilst the weather was so rubbish yesterday I entertained myself by taking some vid of Robin roughing out a spoon with an axe and stuck it on YouTube <here> Whilst I've seen him wielding an axe many times before, watching this I was in awe of his power and accuracy with the tool!

The weather's still rubbish so maybe I'll do part 2 with the knife this afternoon...

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
Now when I use an axe or knife in the front room I never hear the end of it. I like the chopping block BTW

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Thats great to see, I have finished spoons inside the house, but never roughed out...
Do you fish not get stressed out with the noise..?

DoctorSpoon

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 24, 2007
Peak District
www.robin-wood.co.uk
I like the chopping block BTW
Great, isn't it? It doubles up as a coffee table when we're not carving!!

Do you fish not get stressed out with the noise..?
No, they're bad-bottom convict fish and don't do stress about anything :cool:

I just filmed Robin doing the next stage with a knife and found he pulls some amazing faces when he's carving - he's going to love the next instalment :lmao:

ganstey

Settler
Excellent! Can't wait for the rest. Be sure to post a pic of the finished spoon.

The dog has obviously seen it all before:D Not sure my cat will be quite so non-plussed!

Hmm, I obviously need to get me a lump of tree trunk and make a chopping block.

Cheers
G

Mirius

Nomad
Jun 2, 2007
North Surrey
Love the video and can't wait for the next instalment. I'm working on my first spoon now, though I rather doubt it'll be anything other than firewood by the time I'm done with it!

Elessar

Dec 11, 2007
Essex
I have to say that that is truely brilliant work, i also can't wait to see the rest. i love the dog not even giving a second look. you can almost see it thinking...."oh god hes at it again"... my dog would be barking and jumping around with all that noise!

an awesome video!

J

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I often do a bit of knife work in the living room but have not yet done any axe work there - the better half may not be in favour....
Nice coffeee table/block though!

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Fantastic!!:eek:
thats absolutely brilliant, you know I have often wondered if I was some sort of nut, having a taste for carving, or doing a bit of leather work sitting on the floor in either the living or dining room but watching that was a real pleasure.

The obvious benefits of being able to just sweep up the bits and sling them straight onto the fire were, unfortunately, totally lost on my wife and family but I can assure you that, given the opportunity, thats exactly the way I would choose to work in winter!:D

Looking forward to working together in September ;)

Regards
R.B.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Great vid, Id get shot if i did that in the house, it was bad enough hollowing out a spoon bowl with the crook knife over a tarp on the floor, let alone weilding an axe in the house.

DoctorSpoon

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 24, 2007
Peak District
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Thanks for all the positive comments - they have made Robin realise how lucky he is that I share his passion for carving so he can carve in the house. Part 2 is nearly there, but was getting too long so I'm just splitting the straight knife from the hook knife before it goes up.

It's a Gransfors carving axe by the way.

UKHaiku

Forager
Dec 27, 2007
York, UK
Wow...

Makes it look so effortless too - mark of a real craftsman/woman..

I'm working on my first carving project at the moment - starting easy with a butter knife, hate to think how difficult a spoon will be! (I definitely need to get an axe though - too much hard work with just a knife!)

As the others, looking forwards to seeing the knife-work :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE