From This

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
As it says above, from this:

Dscn3961.jpg

To this in one afternoon

Got a bit of work to do on it yet, few lumps and bumps in the bowl i want to get rid of, always fancied one of these and being at loose end this afternoon, ive now got one:D

Dscn3962.jpg

Dscn3965.jpg

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Nice one Maver fast too.

Re avoiding splits here are my tips

1 always work from a halved log as Maver did, if you have the central rings in your finished work it will split however carefully you dry it.

2 it's best if your log is big enough to cut away maybe another 1cm of wood from the inner flat surface before you start any carving. This gets rid of the few central growth rings where there is most stress and most splits start.

3 carve as quickly as possible to the roughly finished shape if you have to leave it during this process keep it in a plastic bag.

4 try to get it quite thin, I reckon about the thickness of a pound coin or perhaps at most twice that but if you leave it very thick it's more likely to split.

Earlyturtle

Forager
Nov 5, 2007
Bristol, England
I've been wanting to try one for a while but haven't got round to it yet. How are you drying yours, Ed and Tree? I've made a wooden drinking cup and had no problems with that splitting, I wrapped it in newspaper tightly and dried it in my cupboard.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Thanks for the comments.

Hope mine doesn't split, fingers crossed:) , hopefully it wont as it was carved from a well seasoned piece of timber, just got a few bits of tidying up to do on it, ie a few lumps and bumps in the bowl i want to get rid of, i might redefine the handle a little as well, as im not completely happy with it.

onwards and upwards:)

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
One technique I've had recommended to me to stop cracking is to boil the cup in salt water.

Carve the basic design, but don't do any of the final finishing work while the wood is green. Then gently simmer/boil the kuksa in salt solution for about 15 mins. This drives the salt water into the grain, and as a result the salt will 'hang on' to the water, taking 2-3 times longer to dry out and season. This delay reduces the risk of it splitting or cracking by drying too quickly.

Once dry and seasoned, do the finishing carving/sanding etc.

Not tried it myself, but I can see it would work!

there's an old thread here:

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=300

Which covers pretty much everything about kuksa making :)

EDIT: Forgot to say, thats a lovely looking kuksa you've got there! :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE