From the netherlands

Bivak

Feb 5, 2011
Voorburg, The Netherlands
Hello,

I've been practicing bushcraft for about a small year now and we're (3 persons) planning a short trip to scotland. I've done bits of the west highland way a few years back but futher than that I have little or no knowlegde of the highlands. So I hope some of you can help me with our trip.

The plan is in the first week of may and hike from Rannoch Rail Station to Dalwinnie Rail Station along the north(west)side of Loch Ericht in 5 days.

Is anyone familiar with this region? Is it a nice walk and are there nice spots for bushcraft? The alternative is probably Galloway Forest Park or does anyone have a good suggestion for a 5 day trip accessible by train?

Another question: How about the midges this time of the year? Is a midgejacket a must?

Thanks,

Sebastian
form the netherlands

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Hi Sebastian,

I can recommend Galloway Forest Park for hillwalking,camping or using bothies.
It's mostly coniferous woodland but you can practise bushcraft off the beaten track.
There are lochs for fishing, most of which require a permit because they are stocked.
Loch Doon is free fishing though it's not easy to catch there.

I live nearby and the hills give you a good walk without being extreme.

Hope that helps,

Tom.

Bivak

Feb 5, 2011
Voorburg, The Netherlands
thnx gsfgaz for the good news, my brother-in-law was relieved to hear that.

Tickets are booked and now we'll just have to wait :sleeping:.

thnx Tom, I'll take a closer look at Galloway on Google Earth and suggest it to the others

other suggestions are still welcome

Sebastian

BobvanVelzen

Tenderfoot
Jun 8, 2010
Netherlands
Hi everybody, I am 1/3 of this party.
I have a question of my own; We will probably take a GB small forest axe and some small knives (mora and such). I know its no problem to carry these in the woods, but should we be concerned having these on the airport and train stations? In public area's they will be in our backpacks, yet I'm not sure if this is OK with the new knife restrictions. some of our blades are surely longer than 3" and an axe is pretty big and non folding.

Also any tips on water treatment? just chlorine tablets/boiling or is a filter advised?

Thanks for all the help so far.

Can't wait, Bob

Dormouse

Tenderfoot
Jul 15, 2010
UK
Somebody with more exact information may correct me on this, but if you're flying, I believe airlines will not allow you on the flight with a blade of 3" or longer. I'd imagine an axe would give the airport staff a fright too!

With regards to water, anything from a tap (including outside ones) will be perfectly safe without further treatment. River, stream and loch water should be fine with boiling - I tend to filter "wild" water but mainly for aesthetic reasons rather than safety - I use one of these http://backpackinglight.co.uk/product353.asp?PageID=40 it does everything.

trekkingnut

Settler
Jul 18, 2010
Wiltshire
Somebody with more exact information may correct me on this, but if you're flying, I believe airlines will not allow you on the flight with a blade of 3" or longer. I'd imagine an axe would give the airport staff a fright too!

With regards to water, anything from a tap (including outside ones) will be perfectly safe without further treatment. River, stream and loch water should be fine with boiling - I tend to filter "wild" water but mainly for aesthetic reasons rather than safety - I use one of these http://backpackinglight.co.uk/product353.asp?PageID=40 it does everything.

they wont let you on the plane at all with a knife, but i regularly carry several knives and a machete on planes to various parts of the world.... its only customs who might object... be descrete, a samurai sword will cause alarm, a well worn bush craft knife next to your stove and tent will probably just be accepted.

Like many others I never had a problem with knives, axes, machetes on planes, as long as you put the in your backpack as CARGO luggage. Obviously NOT as a carry on.

Passed Amsterdam, Rotterdam, Heathrow, Gatwick, Bangkok, Goteborg... (I could go on a bit...) and never had a problem.

Only question I ever had was in Darwin. This was because the material of the sheath of my parang was wood and the people in God's own country are (rightfully so!) terrified of bringing in more diseases and pests....

No problem about the blade and after the inspection of the wood I could carry on. Mind you I WAS nervous about unpacking it and potential trigger happy customs people ;-)

Have fun in Scotland mate!

Grtz Johan

BobvanVelzen

Tenderfoot
Jun 8, 2010
Netherlands
Obviously I was not planning on taking anything even looking sharp with me on the plane. All the dangerous stuff will be in the backpack, in the cargo hold.
Thanks for the tips and locations, sound great.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE