From Across the Pond

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BradGad

Dec 9, 2020
North Georgia, USA
Hello all,

I'm pleased to be able to join your forum and hope I acquit myself well. I have been very active on BCUSA for a number of years and am now following a suggestion by one of your members here that I try this group as well.

I am not a complete stranger to the UK: I lived in Edinburgh for 18 months while getting my masters degree. This was in the 1980s. I am chagrined to say that at that time, I didn't do nearly as much as I should have to enjoy the outdoors in your country... only some wandering and hiking in the Lake District.

I live in North Georgia, USA, on six wooded acres in the mountains at the very southern tip of the Appalachian Mountains. The scenery is not as majestic as the Alps or the Rockies, but these are real mountains with a lot of history (both geologic and human) and considerable biodiversity. (A county not far north of me has -- or so I have read -- the greatest biodiversity of any in the United States.) One of the patron saints of bushcrafting, Horace Kephart, had his cabin in the mountains about two hours north of me. In fact, this time two weeks ago I was in the midst of four days hiking and camping along the trail he walked to go into Bryson City, North Carolina, to get mail and supplies.

I paddled and climbed back in the Long Long Ago, the Before Time, but these days it's mostly bushcrafting, hiking, and camping, complemented by my interest in wood carving and foraging. My work situation allows me to make three to four day outings quite regularly. When I'm backpacking or hiking, my general philosophy is "Make more memories than miles." I seldom plan out routes with any heroic distances.

Regards

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Hello all,

I'm pleased to be able to join your forum and hope I acquit myself well. I have been very active on BCUSA for a number of years and am now following a suggestion by one of your members here that I try this group as well.

I am not a complete stranger to the UK: I lived in Edinburgh for 18 months while getting my masters degree. This was in the 1980s. I am chagrined to say that at that time, I didn't do nearly as much as I should have to enjoy the outdoors in your country... only some wandering and hiking in the Lake District.

I live in North Georgia, USA, on six wooded acres in the mountains at the very southern tip of the Appalachian Mountains. The scenery is not as majestic as the Alps or the Rockies, but these are real mountains with a lot of history (both geologic and human) and considerable biodiversity. (A county not far north of me has -- or so I have read -- the greatest biodiversity of any in the United States.) One of the patron saints of bushcrafting, Horace Kephart, had his cabin in the mountains about two hours north of me. In fact, this time two weeks ago I was in the midst of four days hiking and camping along the trail he walked to go into Bryson City, North Carolina, to get mail and supplies.

I paddled and climbed back in the Long Long Ago, the Before Time, but these days it's mostly bushcrafting, hiking, and camping, complemented by my interest in wood carving and foraging. My work situation allows me to make three to four day outings quite regularly. When I'm backpacking or hiking, my general philosophy is "Make more memories than miles." I seldom plan out routes with any heroic distances.

Regards
Hello and welcome! Sounds like you live in a perfect area for doing bushcraft. :D

BradGad

Dec 9, 2020
North Georgia, USA
Nice to see you here!
Erbswurst...

Sorry man, I am going to out you. You are the reason I am here.

So glad.

So! Gang! I am from BCUSA. Erbswurst calls us the “Cowboy Club”. He is exactly right. I was too late to vote on the November picture election, but #4, with the bluebells... that one rocked my socks, and I need to say my wife and I are trying to naturalize bluebells here.

Annn-ny way...

The thing about that monthly photo thread.

Every picture here was a flower or lots of flowers. Over on our Cowboy Club, it would be guns and fires and big honkin’ knives.

I am happy here with the flowers.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE