Freshwater mussels

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

den

Nomad
Jun 13, 2004
Bristol
So how safe are they to eat?

Do they taste good?

I see the odd bush crafty photo of people collecting them, but being filter feeders and all that it's put me off until now. I see all sorts of mussels when I’m out in the kayak.

Oh and I’m not on about any protected species. :nono:

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
They are filter feeders which means that they are as good for you as the water they are in is good for them. Technically, organic contaminants (sewage, etc) can be made safe through thorough cooking but inorganic pollutants (fertilizers, industrial waste, etc) will still remain.
I tend to steer clear of filter feeders!

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
to the best of my knolage you dont really want to eat them if they are near farm runoff water/outlet from a nuclear powerplant/river tamar/sewage works.. etc you should be ok in moving/tidal waters where the water is regularly replaced.. just make sure you cook them properly.. if your not certain its ok, chuck it!

den

Nomad
Jun 13, 2004
Bristol
Cheers guys

Same as Adi i normally stay clear of filter feeders.

However i'd love to know if they taste good.. :p

Just one of them things you see about all the time on the river but never get around to trying .

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
If you really want to try them you could take em home and let them sit in some fresh water for a a few hours to help them freshen up a bit. Your milage may vary though!

Realgar

Nomad
Aug 12, 2004
W.midlands
Watching the llive ones crawling around the tank with my sticklebacks, they have a decent sized muscular foot, presumably you'd be a lot safer if you just ate that part and left the stocmach sack etc alone.
Realgar

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE