fresh water mussels

jon r

Native
Apr 7, 2006
England, midlands
www.jonsbushcraft.com
Whilst out by the lake sides i find quite a few of these. Can they be eaten?

They are suprisingly big!. Any ideas about what the shells could be used for?

mussle.jpg

silvergirl

Nomad
Jan 25, 2006
Angus,Scotland
They are highly protected.
It is an offense to disturb them and the areas they grow. Don't harvest them or you could be in serious trouble. Not to mention the fact that the population collapsed a couple of decades ago and is yet to recover.

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
OK, some quick Googling later, and it seems there are at least two species of freshwater mussel in the UK:

Unio tumidus, the Swollen River Mussel, which does not appear to be protected as far as I can see right now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swollen_river_mussel

Margaritifera margaritifera, the The Freshwater Pearl Mussel, which is protected:

Protected under Schedule 5 of the UK Wildlife and Countryside Act (1981) and the Wildlife (Northern Ireland) Order 1985, the freshwater pearl mussel is also listed on annexes II and V of the EU Habitats Directive and Appendix III of the Bern Convention. It is included on the IUCN Invertebrate Red List, where its status is described as Vulnerable (IUCN 1990).

http://www.english-nature.org.uk/lifeinukrivers/species/mussel.htm

Gwhtbushcraft

Settler
Nov 16, 2006
Warwickshire
A local garden centre was selling these for ponds. I believe that the shells had a part in an ancient fire making kit alongside iron pyrites and flint. Not sure what for though.

silvergirl

Nomad
Jan 25, 2006
Angus,Scotland
Yes, they grow in areas of good water quality. They are particularly sensitive to chemicals suspended in the water and thick silt deposits and organic matter.

Not sure about the swollen river mussels official status but it is listed as an unusual species and I wouldn't be happy about harvesting any as the populations do take such a long time to recover. You are down as being in the Midlands and there are poulation of peal mussels there.

Toddy I'm not sure about listing the jncc link on an open forum, perhaps to many details?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Good point, it is a bit detailed isn't it? I'll remove it.

Re the firemaking kit, the freshwater mussel shell isn't necessary, there are *loads* of shells that will work, the big commercially grown mussels for instance.

cheers,
Toddy

Beer Monster

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 25, 2004
With the gnu!
As far as I'm aware the fresh water pearl mussels (rare) are generally foundin fast flowing upland streams and rivers where as the very common swan mussels (Anodonta cygnea) are found in ponds, lakes and canals. Here is the FSC guide to freshwater mussels.

I suspect that you have the swan mussels and as far as I can tell they aren't protected. In fact many people seem to use them as bait. Maybe you could use them in your trap?

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Once common, but now endangered and protected by the Wildlife and Countryside Act, the Freshwater Pearl Mussel may still be found on the river bed. As its name suggests, it is the source of freshwater pearls. The largest Tay pearl, weighing 33 grains (nearly 2 grams) was found by Bill Abernethy in 1967.

From http://www.perthcity.co.uk/index.asp?pg=71

My uncle caught one on a snagged line when fishing in the early 60s, which was big enough, the pearl, for an engagement ring.

Nick

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The appalling thing is the sight of hundreds of dead mussels ripped apart and dumped by an iijit looking for the pearls :( :cussing: :rant: :banghead: Damned few have pearls, and most of the pearls are not fit for jewellery anyway.

Toddy

Beer Monster

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 25, 2004
With the gnu!
Conversely if anyone is looking for the common Swan Mussel shells a walk along the banks of the Teviot near Ancrum should provide you with a few. The banks normally have few empty shells on them.

ilan

Nomad
Feb 14, 2006
bromley kent uk
The common swan mussel is found in the thames and i have seen them in there thousands so they cannot be that rare these are different from the lake "swan mussels " which are fatter so i think there are several sub specis Personaly I would not eat them as they are fiter feeders and may contain a build up of toxins esp from the algies found in rivers and lakes but also from other metals which may be present . I have used them for bait but with little success

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE