freeze drying

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
is it possible to freeze dry your own rice in a normal freezer?

you dont seem to be able to get it in this country, all mine is from aussie rat packs and I'm down to my last packet :(

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
I don't think it's as easy as that :

wikipedia said:
Freeze drying (also known as lyophilization or cryodessication) is a dehydration process typically used to preserve a perishable material or make the material more convenient for transport. Freeze drying works by freezing the material and then reducing the surrounding pressure and adding enough heat to allow the frozen water in the material to sublime directly from the solid phase to gas

more info here

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
The five minute rice you buy is freeze dried stuff. You can boil rice and dehydrate it. The 5 min stuff is BOGOF 69p at Iceland stores

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
is that plain rice or flavoured?

the key difference is that with freeze dried rice I can add cold water and it will fluff up in a few minutes.

I was looking in asda today and there was 5 min packet rice next to 20 min stuff.

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
freezers create a partial vacuum dont they? at least due to the difference the cold creates in the air pressure, isn't that why you get freezer burn as it dehydrates? thats what got me thinking :)

mortalmerlin

Forager
Aug 6, 2008
Belgium (ex-pat)
In freeze drying you reduce the pressure and temperture then when you raise the temperature the water will sublime rather than go into a liquid phase. Bring the pressure back up and your food is dry.

As far as I understand the principal, at normal pressure water can be solid liquid or gas but at much lower pressure is can only be a solid or gas, it becomes a sublimating substance.

But before you get any ideas involving a vacuum cleaner, if you pump all the air out of your freezer I suspect it will just implode ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE