Freelance Bushcraft Tuition for Scouts

Mar 24, 2012
Wrexham
Hi All,

I am a Scout Leader from just outside Wrexham North Wales and we have just been Given a £200 grant to spend on an activity that the kids choose. The Scouts have said that they really want to do a bit of bush craft and I was wondering if anyone on here is willing to do it for us. I have phoned round the main outdoor activities people but it would end up costing us about £400 at the least. I don't want to sound like I'm being cheap but £200 is literally all we can afford and I'd prefer to give it to someone that really needs the business.

The group would consist of ten scouts with three leaders, we are not looking for an overnight experience, a day or even an afternoon somewhere would be great. The maximum we can pay for the tuition is £200 and we can stretch a little to cover travel.

The scouts and leaders will all be covered under the Scout's Insurance so no need to worry about that. We do require that the tutor is CRB checked however. (If this is a big problem I can sort it out for free through the scout association but we would have to meet up beforehand)

Please drop me a PM on here if you can help or direct me to someone that can. We need an invoice (for £200. Extra can be sorted later) for our scout district to pay by cheque. I would be happy to give you a call any time if you need any further info.

Thank you
George Jones

Last edited by a moderator:
Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
Would you not be better to spend the £200 on some moras, fire steels, and maybe a few tarps? Then do the training yourself? You would then see the benefit of the money for far longer.

If you don't have the skills, then I'm sure you could link up with others in the district that do, or others on this forum and have a little practice first time round....

Mar 24, 2012
Wrexham
Hi Lord Poncho,

This was exactly my plan but unfortunately the grant can only be spent on an activity not equipment... Thanks for the suggestion though as we both know this would be the best way to do it!

Thanks
George

Edit: Have just had a word with the Grant people and have talked them into letting us buy the equipment... A many survival camp I see for the near future.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
Good news! Well done, and best of luck- hope it all goes well! There are a few threads on here about Scout survival/bushcraft camps that may give you a few ideas. I'l try and track down some links.

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
Well done George.
Kit is infinitely more useful in the long term.
Now you can all acquire bushcrafty skills together.
If you have a Clas Ohlsen nearby they have some excellent Mora knives at 3 or 4 pounds each.
Our scouts love them.
Sharpening is unnecessary until they have used them once or twice so they really appreciate
the difference between sharp and really sharp.
Cheers , Simon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE