free mapping software

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

snozz

Dec 9, 2009
Otley
Thanks for this - am looking at it now. Looks nice, but I cannot immediately view the type of map I want - it is not as intuitive as i'd want - having to read the manual!!

nigeltm

Aug 8, 2008
south Wales
The software is free but the maps (at least the really useful ones!) have to be bought from their online store.

The software itself is quite good. I use it as Mapyx develop the search management plugin for Mountain Rescue. The tools are fairly user friendly with all the basic functions covered. It's also compatible with various gps, so you can plan routes and upload tracks. It also has 3d projections so you can produce relief views (if you have the DTM mapping to support it). On the whole a good bit of kit.

Whether its better than MemoryMap is all down to personal choice. Having used both I'd say there isn't much between them. The advantage with MemoryMap map is that it comes in one install. No need to install the software and then download the maps off the Internet. I can't comment on cost as I didn't have to pay for my Mapyx maps (on of the benefits of being in MR!).

Hope this helps.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE