Free green woodworking day at Chopwell Woodland Park

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Friends of Chopwell Wood, in conjunction with The Forestry Commission and the Local Heritage Initiative, have a FREE green woodworking skills day on Sunday 24th June 2007.

(We also have B.S.L. signing support available)

The event will run from 9am-4pm and you can drop in anytime you like between those times. As I say; it's absolutely free and all you need is a pair of stout boots and, maybe a waterproof? no booking required, but please park at the main car park then walk down to the forest depot and classroom where you will be directed to the training area.
You can sample the delights of taking a log of birch, oak , sycamore, alder or whatever and actually process it from log to leg, mallet, maul, and even spoon.
If you want to make a day of it then feel free to stick around all day, bring your lunch and you can get stuck in and have a go at making something a bit bigger from green wood.
A bit of explanation:
I put the project together a while ago, but had to wait for the funding issues to be sorted out. Some of you will, no doubt, already be familiar with our woodcraft tutor; Eric Methven.
The idea was to put together a small team of interested volunteers and teach them green wood working skills which they could then pass on to others through events like this one.
We spent four weekends over february and march, working outside, in all weathers learning new skills, honing old ones and sharing our combined knowledge among the eight of us.
We made all sorts of things; (some more successful than others!)from log mauls and mallet's to a shave horse and a pole lathe. Everyone made a three legged stool and no one went away moaning.
The final part of the training phase is to run a free public day to allow our volunteers the chance to pass on what they have learnt. The question as to whether any of them have been practising over the spring will, no doubt be answered fairly early on the sunday morning!

Dont be put off by the green woodwork theme, I'll be running alongside with some more solidly bushcraft related activities; t.b.c. but basic knife skills,crooked knife skills, saw and axe work, spoon carving and possibly bark container work.
So, if you can get there, your welcome.

Cheers!

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
We'll probably cover some aspects of natural cordage as well if anyone asks for it.

I'm looking forward to it. It'd be nice to see a few people from here come along for the day. And what's more, no previous experience needed.

Eric

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE