Free fishing in Scotland

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

NetFrog

Forager
Jul 17, 2011
Scotland
After an excellent weekend wild camping and fishing over at Loch Lochy where I ate loads of trout :D I am trying to find out what other lochs in Scotland are available for free fishing, there seems to be a lot of debate on what "Free fishing" is but regardless of that there certainly seem to be places where you can strike out with a rod no problem at all. However finding a list of such places is nigh on impossible.

So far I have:

Loch Lochy in the Great Glen - Confirmed FREE
Loch Doon in S.W. Scotland - Confirmed FREE
Loch Skeen in S. Scotland - Confirmed FREE
Loch Ba on Rannoch Moor - Confirmed FREE
Loch Treig W. Scotland - Confirmed FREE
Mill Loch and Kirk Loch at Lochmaben Confirmed FREE
Lochrutton Loch at Lochfoot Confirmed FREE
Loch Arthur near Beeswing - Confirmed FREE
Lochindorb - confirmed FREE.
Loch Etive, glencoe

A search on "no permit required" on the welcome to Scotland site brings the following results for free fishing in Scotland

http://www.welcometoscotland.com/search?q=no+permit+required&nm_search_go.x=0&nm_search_go.y=0

Anyone have any others they can contribute?

Cheers

Last edited:

NetFrog

Forager
Jul 17, 2011
Scotland
Loch Etive , glencoe ... there is'nt a lot free in Scotland bud we have to pay through the nose ...

Loch Etive seems to be free as it is tidal, added it to me list :)

Planning on trying my hand at beachcasting this year, at least there is no shortage of the free stuff for that!

NetFrog

Forager
Jul 17, 2011
Scotland
Nice work Mr. Frog. I have often wondered about this, so very useful. How certain are you?

Not so certain about them all that I would bet my life on it! ;-) I would definitely recommend researching any you were interested in before setting off with all your kit but I plan to try them all this year assuming none of them come a cropper for permits. As Loch Garry, Lochy and Treig are so close to each other they are all worth a punt. I caught some decent brownies in Loch Lochy from the shore, the biggest one got away of course when it snapped my line... Must have been HUGE :p

Some of the lochs round there have blue green algae blooms so you don't want to drink the water on any overnight trips there, in fact after looking into the algae blooms I think I have been put off all loch water for life :x

Deck

Forager
Dec 31, 2010
Moray
CHeers for sharing Mr Frog! Not sure about Lochindorb though, I'm sure I read somewhere that there are new owners and that fishing from the bank is no longer free. Anyone able to shed any light on this?

NetFrog

Forager
Jul 17, 2011
Scotland
I'll give them a call tomorrow and find out. That is the problem, any of these places could change their policies or gain new owners at any time. It's nice to have a list but I would go about looking at any on the list in more depth before heading straight over to fish. The worst that would happen is a Baliff or land owner says boo to you but the whole point is to be able to relax!

BTW Deck - I'm in Moray too. Good to see someone local! :)

CHeers for sharing Mr Frog! Not sure about Lochindorb though, I'm sure I read somewhere that there are new owners and that fishing from the bank is no longer free. Anyone able to shed any light on this?

Last edited:

Deck

Forager
Dec 31, 2010
Moray
I have just phoned the game keeper for the Logie Estate and it is free to fish. They only ask that you keep away from the wooded area and that you watch out for nesting birds. Think I might have to take a trip up there later! Sorry for any confusion I caused and hope this clears things up.

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
Hi Deck
Just read your post on Lochindord, new owner’s mmmmm.
Well formally Lochindorb was free fishing from the bank only, and on the loch you had to hire their boats.
The Elgin tackle shop is the place to ask, next time I’m in there I’ll let you and Netfrog know for sure one way or the other...

Last edited:

Deck

Forager
Dec 31, 2010
Moray
Hi Deck
Just read your post on Lochindord, new owner’s mmmmm.
Well formally Lochindorb was free fishing from the bank only, and on the loch you had to hire their boats.
The Elgin tackle shop is the place to ask, next time I’m in there I’ll let you and Netfrog know for sure one way or the other...

Cheers Pict
I phoned the game keeper at Lochindorb earlier today and fishing from the bank is stil free. Took a trip there today and caught some lovely brownies to about half a pound. Was a smashing day for it and there were plenty of people fishing there. The game keepers were driving about for most of the day and they showed no interest in those fishing, nor in those camping. Would be nice to see people clear up their disposable BBQs but then that's a different rant altogether!

Jan 15, 2013
Stretford
Nice touch putting the Loch's up that are available to be fished freely. As far as rod licence I am under the impression that’s not required for Scotland unless there’s been recent changes. On another note when walking the Great glen way I popped into the angling shop in Inverness, inquiring where I stand and was told that if there’s no signs saying permit only or private then fish it! And if its not the case that its free all you do when question is obviously state you were unaware due to their being no signs apologise and swiftly move on lol.

Feb 10, 2013
yorkshire
hi guys im looking to do some fishing in scotland in august for trout and pike can anybody recommend some good lochs where we can camp and fish on the bankside many thanks nigel

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Last edited:

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
MMmmmmm, very interesting, when you say free fishing ( apart from a license ) that is very good news, what sort of baits are allowed ..all ? fly ? very interested to know please if anyone can shed light on the subject, thanks.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE