Free Deer Meat

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jerv

Forager
Aug 28, 2005
sussex
I can;t remember the title but I read a good book about the !kung where they found alion kill and then set up camp on it. They kept the lions off by using fire.
I've always had a problem believing that little homo habilis could scare even small predators off of kills.

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
An interesting article, I think what he is refering to here "By observing how the wildlife around him are behaving he can pick up many valuable clues" is a very important skill that can also be used for other skills such as tracking and hunting.

fredcraft

Nomad
Jan 26, 2007
Quebec
I find it a great thing to do.

Where I come from, we live in front of a national road (don't be impressed by the appelation hehe, it's only 2 lanes wide, 1 in each direction) and cars/trucks travel on it at relatively high speeds (60-70 MPH) and since it's a heaven region for deers and that there are so many, it happens that some are killed by cars.

And since it's not illegal to collect meat off an already dead animal, the hunter that lives next to us often take the good parts off those fresh roadkills. It would be a shame to let such good pieces of meat go to scavengers.

At first I found it a bit unhealthy (without apparent reasons) to eat off freshly dead roadkills, but then again, I think of how the meat that we buy from the grocery store are grown / fed and I realize that a freshly killed deer is much more closer to a gourmet meal-to-be than anything else I could buy at the store !

Cheers,

fredcraft

Nomad
Jan 26, 2007
Quebec
FGYT said:
Ive had trout by scaring of herons after they spear them just luck on that :D

Duncan

Great trick too ! :D There's not much of them where I am. They are a rare sight to me, perhaps more rare than mooses :eek:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE