Fray Bentos pie tins

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I am a dreadful pie snob and have mine fresh.

But Morrisons are selling these so cheap of late...

I now have a couple of tins...even the big tops...Im always reluctant to get rid off odd shaped packaging in case it has some interesting new use...

(Its a family thing; getting my father to throw stuff away is...difficult)

What would you do?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
You know those stoves made from strips of corrugated cardboard coiled up and packed tight into a shallow tin, then covered in melted scrap wax ?
I reckon it'd make a campfire sized one of those :D

Those Fray Bentos tins now come in Vegan versions. Cost a pound in Poundstretcher last week.
Haven't braved trying it yet though :rolleyes:
They also had a Balti curry one.

M

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I think they are that in Morrisons.

They store well, and are great if you suddenly fancy a pie and arent going shopping.

And, yes, they are actualy quite nice.

Reactions: santaman2000

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
With a side cutting tin opener I used a lid to make a hanging stove kit for an msr pocket rocket or that super tiny titanium thing we all bought from China......something 3000?

Oliver G

Sep 15, 2012
Ravenstone, Leicestershire
I've used them a "Bit tins" while working on my car, I bought a bulk load of the small penny type magnets and glued a few to the bottom of the tin, you can just pop it wherever and it's a handy way of capturing parts that could easily get lost.

Alternatively you could polish up the inside and suspend it over a couple of candles to spread the light at low level for reading.

Reactions: santaman2000

Riven

Dec 23, 2006
England
Fray bentos pies always remind me of a friend who would always take one when we went fishing or camping as kids. He died a couple of years ago and as a touch of nostalgia I bought and cooked one. How the hell he used to eat that crxp I don't know, but it did make me smile.
It seems to me the tin was probably the best part.

Reactions: JFW and Coldfeet

Code 4

Tenderfoot
Feb 25, 2020
Shrewsbury
I have always been a big Goblin fan . I use the tins for odds and ends in the workshop.
I thought Fray Bentos was a South American freedom fighter. You know, that fellow in the beret.

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
I have always been a big Goblin fan . I use the tins for odds and ends in the workshop.
I thought Fray Bentos was a South American freedom fighter. You know, that fellow in the beret.

Its the Capital City of a region in Uraguay, and its port Fray Bentos is probably one of the best known in the world, after Liverpool of course.

Reactions: Code 4

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Apparently they're made by Baxter's now, up in Fochabers.
Probably why there are new recipes out.
Himself tried the chicken one, he said it was okay for a chicken pie.

Reactions: JFW and Winnet

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE