Four Legg'd camping companions

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
Hey guys and girls!

To those of you that take your dogs out with you...i have a question....HOW!?

We have had our "rottidor" for over a year now he's 15 months old and weighs 7.5st.... so he's just a little fella :rolleyes: Whilst taking him out for a walk the other day I suddenly thought I'd love to take him camping in the woods with me. The only thing I'd be worried about is him getting lost or running off (probably more the latter one) He's usually great off the lead, for example if I go and take him into a field and I sat in the middle of it, he never really goes more than about 30 metres away from me. Until he see's another dog that is, and then it is as if he goes deaf and has tunnel vision, he ignores everything you say to him and I have to go get him and put him back on the lead until the other dogs are gone. So how did you get your dog used to being out camping with you? one thought I had was to tie like 50metres of rope to his collar at one end and to a tree at the other, or when im sleeping, my foot so if he goes too far or falls down a hill or something the jerking on my foot will wake me up. But I dont know how good/bad an idea that is. I'd rather have him totally off the lead but i'm just worried if he sees anything like little rodents or squirrels or whatever he will be off chasing them and I wont have a clue where he's gone. I wouldn't have to worry about other people walking dogs through the woods I go to because they aren't really suitable for a nice dog walk!

anyway, any thoughts and tips would be great :)

ready...

discuss! ;)

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
I'd say 50m of rope is too long, why not just have him on a shorter lead with a screw in ground anchor? It would be safer as there'd be less risk of him getting tangled or choked. If you want him to have a bit more freedom rig up a running line, pegged at both ends with a short lead connecting to the line.

Our dogs tend to just hang around the tent.

Just be aware that fabric/leather leads are easily chewed! My beddy whippet can get through a nylon slip lead in seconds.

Dannytsg

Native
Oct 18, 2008
England
You can tie them to a tree with plenty of room for manoeuvre or get a ground stake that goes into the ground. We haven't had a problem with our dog and he even sleeps in the tent with us (but being a yorkshire terrier he isn't that big lol) The only way to really see is to take the dog with you and try it to be honest.

mereside

Nomad
Aug 21, 2010
hornsea
i have spent two years getting proper control over my gsp, but he is a hunting dog so need him to be exactly where i put him till its his time to work /play but if you are worried use a spike auger for a lead that way he cant run far and you have piece of mind that way if you give him commands to stay and hes on the rope you have control he will soon get the message other than that train him to stay with you use a whistle as its easier on yourself and the dog ,atb wayne

MSkiba

Settler
Aug 11, 2010
North West
Hi!

I take my doberman camping all the time. But, Ive been taking him to the woods since he was 2 and a half months old. First time was a nightmare, but just gets better and better. He is now 1 and a half years old.

The rope idea might not work, as he will drag the rope around and get stuck on a tree or whatever.

I make a bed for him in my tent, and block the door with my rucksack, and make sure he settles down and goes to sleep.

The first time he ran out of the tent (head butt, zips rip, pegs pop) when he heard a noise in middle of the night, but second time was lot better, and everytime since then he is perfect. Make sure you stay in your area a good 3 to 4 hours before bed time, so he gets used to his surroundings before going to sleep.

If you are scared he will run away (which I dont think will be the case), make sure you reward him when he comes to you when called. There are other tricks too, like pretending your walking away from him, or crouch down low. This always makes my dobie run back to me.

There have been times when he runs off to chase a deer, but only gets 30m - 50 m out before he turns back as he gets too far from the pack and his instincs kick in to return to us (a whistle helps).

For your first time, be prepared to get little sleep, but I can assure you it will get better with time, and the sooner you start the better.

Hope this helps? Feel free to ask me anything else.

MSkiba

Settler
Aug 11, 2010
North West
Everyone I know who used a ground anchor for a dog, the dog just rips it out of the ground eventually. I really would keep the dog in the tent overnight unless you specifically do not want that.

Lister

Settler
Apr 3, 2012
Runcorn, Cheshire
If you're car-a-camping and your car is relatively close in relation to your tent, crab the lead to the car's tow eye, solves the pulling out of the ground issue.

We use leashing screws for our JRTs and eventually they come out so we crab them to the car, downside if that sod's law ensures that they wrap the leads around the tent guys....that being said, you could solve this by tying the tent to trees instead of pegging to the ground.

sewn in groundsheets are good but unless your doors zip all the way round (sides and bottom) the dog will find a way out.

hope this helps.

martsim73

Jul 30, 2012
Wimborne, Dorset
We were worried about this last year as we prepared for a camping trip. Our Black Lab is daft as they come! Always running off but food usually beckons him back. I totally understand your thoughts about said dog seeing other dogs, getting tunnel vision and suddenly becoming deaf.... We've been there so many times!
Got to say our Lab was brilliant on the trip... Very excited at first, but he totally calmed down. He was on a ground anchor attached to a 10/15 meter training lead. No problem. At night he came into the tent compartment with me... This was confusing to him at first, but he got used to it very quickly. He ended up trying to take over my sleeping mat but eventually settled by my feet.
I would have no problem taking him along again... :)

Martin

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
I take my hound every time I go out more or less,either walking or camping. Having a strong prey drive he will tackle anything from voles to bears, so if there are critters about, he is on a long lead (10 meters ) which is attached to my waist so my hands are free. Despite his age, he only has to sniff a single furry scent molecule & he is off, so for my peace of mind & the protection of the local wildlife ( & his safety) I feel having him on a lead is the best option.
Also once camp is set up (i.e. tent pitched) I find that knowing he is attached settles him down, if he was free he would just be restless, looking for things to hunt & ready to dart off at any moment.

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
thanks for the comments everyone, Think i'm just going to take him out next time I go. I like the sound of having a running line! atleast then he can move around but still within a controlled area for now until he gets used to it. I dont think I need to worry about him chewing through the lead we got him a chain lead because he managed to chew through all the others! he hates having it in his mouth now.

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
Yeah I'm going to take him up with me this evening for a couple of hours just to see what he makes of the place. What do you guys do with regards to the dogs and fires?? do you just let them learn the hard way not to go up and "investigate"??

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
....I like the sound of having a running line! atleast then he can move around but still within a controlled area for now until he gets used to it.......

i use a running line for my dog quite often when we stop for lunch on wanders, i don''t like tying him up on a long rope because he tends to get tangled up, a running line gives him just as much freedom without the risk of him getting tangled.

.......What do you guys do with regards to the dogs and fires?? do you just let them learn the hard way not to go up and "investigate"??

i more or less let mine find out for himself. i told him, quite gently "leave it", "it's hot", "it'll bite you" etc. but didn't tell him "NO!" so eventually he decided to have a sniff and investigate, he ended up with a bit of warm ash up his nose and slightly singed whiskers, not happy at all, but now he doesn't need telling "NO!"

as for the original question, if my dog comes out with me at night i put a bit of groundsheet and a folded blanket on the ground at the side of me when i go to bed and leave him with it. i've woken up a few times and he's not been there but he's always responded to a whistle within a few seconds so he's never very far away at all, i guess he just has a wander round and has a nosey at what's going on. a friend of mine used to have a wirey haired beddlington/whippet/collie/??? that he'd take night fishing with him. he'd sit by the pond nice and cosy in his sleeping bag with a flask and a radio and the dog would spend the whole night running round the adjacent golf course catching rabbits, on a good night they'd get 15 rabbits, although he never caught any fish, but then again i don't think he ever took any bait :)

MSkiba

Settler
Aug 11, 2010
North West
Yeah they soon learn not to sniff a fire. Start with a small smoky fire first, the smoke will be enough for him to leave it alone. Try not to play games like tug near the fire as they get carried away and step back into it.

The only problem i have with my dog, is cliffs. Has no fear of heights and will try to climb down a cliff I know for a certain will end up nasty. So I only take my dog camping if there are no dangeraus falls in the area.

Also keep and eye if there are bogs around, they never learn on that front and can be devestating/smelly for the both of you.

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
I presume thats a rott labrador cross if so anytraing method at this age should involve food try tinned hot dogs any lab will come running. My vizsla 5 likes to range a little being a pointer so regurly goes out of site but always comes back when called were as my cocker stays close. I always use the recall whistle as its a clear fool proof method for people rather than having to shout in the middle of the woods. The dog soon learns what two pips means but dosnt understand yelling here,come here boy now, get here now, were are you.( not saying you do). So id say get a whistle and some hot dogs the treat needs to be beter that watever hes doing off on on his own. Start by whenever you give him his food at home wait till hes in the garden two pips if he comes lots of praise and his food. The first time do it as hes already waliking accross the garden to come in so hes half way there then build it up wait till hes busy sniffing etc, then try it on a park or field were theres no distractions. And gradualy build it up the key is to not put him in a position were he can fail so dont go to the park tomorow let him off were theres a dog blow the whistle and then tell him off or the whistle becomes the noise he hears before a scolding, wereas it wants to be the noise he hears before a reward. If you know he is going to ignore you dont call him as he will fail. It you call him but he dicides to not come dont call him again just go grab him take him to the spot were you called him. Or he soon learns that he dosnt need to come to the first command. Its a pain and takes alot of repatition but if you do this right and dont rush him or let him fail and most of all be consistant shout his name to get his attention then HEAR then two pips nothing else it will work even mix it up a little instead of a treat throw his ball or roll around on the floor with him like a idiot just make it fun.
Hope that helps so he never knows whats next.
Oh one last thing dogs pretty much only take note of the last word you say so if you say here doggy to most dogs that means nothing it must be doggy here. In many cases its even just the last couple of letters so if you say sit or it tit fit git it will probly still sit so that why whistles are so good there clear

UncleGoo

Jun 11, 2009
Connecticut
It took weeks of camping with my rat terrier/chihuahua (an abused, rescue dog) to get him to sleep through the night: he was always on guard. We spent many one nighters before he calmed down enough to make a good woods companion. I tie him off to a tree, or stone, but most of the time, he'll stay with "the pack" regardless.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE