Found this today on a Bimble, any idea's

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BILLy

Apr 16, 2005
NORTH WALES
Went for a Bimble this evening and found this on top of a mole hill, any ideas on what it could of been, my guess it was completely round and maybe used as a toggle of some sort?
2ba04e23a2de389ea46ec3854ff8f03f.jpg

a12a5ce6b040dc20445e4dea42a021b8.jpg

dbd58676b8ceab5de77b9ca4fd5450a5.jpg
d4405cf877dd2bc5e7a6647685022c6d.jpg
95277b9dee5c665062ec32e89d3773fb.jpg
df9e565d40a5417ad26b817d507385f8.jpg
8d4cfecb4222a63576d5f6d1f76cfe72.jpg

BILLy

Apr 16, 2005
NORTH WALES
Thanks all for ideas, now i had something to go off had a look and like most of you said looks likely its a kind of whorl, that then really got me thinking about who made it, how and about how long ago it was made, really interesting, after reading a bit about them, I am now thinking are there any bodies of research that would be interested in a find like this? It was found in my old village of Ysceifiog, near Holywell, Flintshire.
Thanks for yoyr replies
Bill

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
No idea about yours, but yesterday while walking round our new garden, I saw something in a mole hill, the mole had turned up a 50's snuff box !.

Rob

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Thanks all for ideas, now i had something to go off had a look and like most of you said looks likely its a kind of whorl, that then really got me thinking about who made it, how and about how long ago it was made, really interesting, after reading a bit about them, I am now thinking are there any bodies of research that would be interested in a find like this? It was found in my old village of Ysceifiog, near Holywell, Flintshire.
Thanks for yoyr replies
Bill

Hereford Museum said mine was Iron Age, probably made by the folks who called Sutton Walls hill fort "home" - the site was visible from where I found the whorl - it is worth having the local Archaeologist have a peek at yours.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
You fools, don't you realise what this is? It is the remains of the original prototype of the first wheel! The OP will soon be rich beyond his dreams!

Or you could be right...

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The challenge is…..can you make a whole one ? :D

Right now my hands and wrists won't take the beating, but I have made both spindle whorls and net or loom weights….that central hole looks pecked.
That means that a harder stone is used to strike the first one, time after time after time until the centre is well depressed, then the same is done on the other side until there's a tiny little gap showing right through. At that point you can start burring out using a longer sharper pointy stone.
It can take hours, and every blow threatens to snap the piece just like that one.

Best advice is don't shape the whorl too much to start with, it's just wasted effort if the stone snaps.

There is another way, but it requires a bow or pump drill, a wooden spindle and some sand or grit.
The wooden spindle picks up some of the grit and with pressure that gets embedded in the end. Constant turning grinds out the central hole. It's a lot of effort, but less likely to snap the stone.

Stone use is a much under rated good thing :D

M

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
I was over the moon to find this stunning white Quarts or Dolomite:dunno: whorl stone the other day, there's a small flint stuck in the hole in the other side which I haven't removed.
I'm having some problems uploading images ATM but when I do ill show the other side. I also made one out of lovely bit of Portsoy marble many years ago, if I can find it.

I also tested it out for an adder stone but nothing, maybe the ginger brown flint is blocking the channel;)...

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE