found some elm at work.......

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bdshim

Forager
Sep 25, 2011
suffolk
so i thought id have ago at making a folding buck saw, went and got the 21" banco blade and have come up with this so far.
saw001.jpg

still not finished yet might do some carving on it then oil it, it has mortise and tenon joints so should be strong enough
saw002.jpg

i might even have ago at making a leather bag for it, i might get some ss bolts with wingnuts to secure the blade in a slot. will update this when i have done more.

Last edited:

bdshim

Forager
Sep 25, 2011
suffolk
not sure yet, thought of para cord but then had the mad idea of making some natural cordage:lmao:, para cord would probally be much stronger? open to suggestions on that one?
cheers

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
try some sort of tribal pattern, (dont know how good your carving skills are) that would look ace, and yeah linseed will make it look good, dont want a dark oil because the wood is really nice, want to show that off ;)

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
Looks nice, I made one out of some pine I had lying around a few weeks ago, yours looks much better, well done.

bdshim

Forager
Sep 25, 2011
suffolk
the boss was out all day today so when the cats away the mice will play.......
saw003.jpg

kept it simple will do some on the cross bar next
saw004.jpg

still have yet to sort out how the blade will be held in.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Can you not just use some wing nuts & screws to hold the blade? Will mean drilling your masterpiece but will enable you to pack it down again

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Cut the blade slot right the way through, put a nut and bolt in the end of the blade and then fix it so the end of the blade is outside the uprights, you wont have to drill holes that way, something like this on the one i made last week from some Hazel, you can see the way the blade comes through the bottom of the upright, you might have to reduce the length of your cross brace though so it all fits.

DSCN8030.jpg

bdshim

Forager
Sep 25, 2011
suffolk
got 2 brass pins in the end will be attached somewhere somehow lol, also got an idea of storing the blade safely, but i had to give it a coat of linseed oil, will be back tommorw with finished product, thanks for all the comments:)
saw5002.jpg

saw5001.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE