Fork tines drilling method ?

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
Hello. I'm at the stage on my next wood utensil, a fork, where I need to carve the tines. I read on another thread that I should drill holes and then work down to them, following the pencil lines, but someone else said I should work up from the drill holes.

You can see I've drawn on the desired shape and also three holes as a drilling guide. Will this do?

plPUsg6.jpg

Would appreciate some clarification and any extra tips.

Thank you :)

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
I made one once using a bahco laplander to saw in the tines. I then accidentally cut off 3 of the 4 tines. So work slowly. Hardwood is a good idea.

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
I made one once using a bahco laplander to saw in the tines. I then accidentally cut off 3 of the 4 tines. So work slowly. Hardwood is a good idea.
Well, I was thinking of just using my carving knife for more accuracy because I doubt I could saw diagonally very well.

Edit: But drilling there is a good idea? I would like some reassurance before I do this.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
I would hold the piece in a vice so that the diagonal cut lines are vertical, obviously you can only cut half of them this way, then rearrange the piece so the other diagonal lines are vertical and cut them. cut to the waste side of the line and trim to the line with a knife

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
If you're carving something like that Russell, you need to look at the way the grain runs.

If you start from the holes and head down to the tip of the prongs you're working with the grain and you'll get a nice easy slicing cut. If you do it the other way then your working against it and will find the knife digs in and doesn't give a neat cut.

The other reason is you've got the handle of the fork to hang on to and you're carving away from yourself. In other words it's a nice safe way to do it.

Prong to hole you've got nothing to hold on to and it's easier to slip and do an injury to yourself.

N

Nomad

Agree with cutting away from the holes - safer and more controlled.

If you're going to saw, a junior hacksaw is better than a Laplander for something of that size. Make sure the blade is new, and work slowly to keep the cut on track.

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
Well, I was thinking of just using my carving knife for more accuracy because I doubt I could saw diagonally very well....

Well you could always hold the piece that you're working on at an angle and then saw horizontally/vertically, it's what's known as the correct way to use a saw :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE