Forges

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Hi all,
this is in regards to a long term project but whats about the smallest foot print a forge need to have? I've only seen big commercial ones but whats the smallest area you can safely fit one in?

I've just spent another 2.5 hours ripping down the worlds biggest domestic chicken shed and now there's just the back wall and most of the floor to go (got to do the floor first as its not safe to get to the back wall with it in situ) and while my arms feel like they are falling off I'm giving some thought to what will replace it. I did a winter s walling on the Snake Pass and a year making gates, stiles and such like so I have some basic skills and fancy learning some new ones like building in wattle and daub.

ideally I want to incorporate my interests in history / experimental archeology so if any one knows of any reference books or sites with regards to the history of forges and metal working then I'd be grateful to hear about them.

Theres actually plenty of space where I'm thinking of building it, but realistically I'm more likely to get a smaller project completed than a huge elaborate one.

The 3 lads (14, 12 and 11) are all rather keen and herself isn't completely opposed.

So, any thoughts folks?

atb

Tom

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Well what do you want to make with it?
What kind if budget do you have? What is the maximum size it can be?

you can set up a very functional forge in anything down to 12" square. In theory at least...

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
The forge we made is about 10" high, 10" wide and about 12" long, or something like it we also made the burner for it, and it runs on Gas.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Fair questions.

realistically some ones going to want to do a sword one day or hearth fittings that may be two or three foot long but most of the work will be small stuff, knives, tools, arrow heads. The shed it will be replacing is at least 10 foot by 25 maybe 30, ill go and measure it when I feel I can walk again, there's plenty of space around it but I don't wnt something that big again. As to budget, fairly small, or rather patchy, whenever I can afford to do th next bit, that's when it will be done. We are talking low hundreds over all with second hand or scrounged materials were possible. We still got to finish restoring the house so this will be a back burner sort if project!

Tools won't be stored in it and currently I'm leaning towards open fronted like a glorified bus shelter. The garden slopes so there will be a step at the front where I can see folk sitting for a quite smoke while they carve or generally do stuff that would get them shouted at in the house...

atb

Tom

Last edited:

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
More important questions:

Solid fuel or gas?
Have you got an anvil of some sort?
What kind of tools/ skill base do you have? Ie are we looking at welding stuff?

I've done a thread on here about building a charcoal forge for under £30.
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=100296&highlight=
indeed I've made dozens of posts to aid beginner smiths on topics such as this to anvil locating or replacement.

For your forge though, ultimately bigger is better. The physical size of your fireball will usually be less than 4" around but a larger hearth can accomodate more fuel or allow you to rest steel on it.

I suggest you look at the iforgeiron forum. There's a lot of very good info on there.

Have a look at the Tim Lively forge. Simple to build and will get you going.

Cheers
Andy

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
One thing I would suggest though is if you are serious about building a forge into this new shed I'd suggest installing some kind of chimney. You will need one eventually.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Ah I have confused things by my use of the word forge, sorry, I mean the room/ building the forge proper, anvil and bench will be housed in. Not sure what the correct term should be, workshops too general.

The fuel will be solid ( must allow for the storage of that a well) charcoal
no real anvil yet, been using the one on the back of a big vice and some very hard steel blocks, biggest is about the size of a 2oz tobacco tin!

I last used a full sized forge at school over 20 years ago but been pottering about making things like penannular broaches and awls. It's something I really want to get into but been frustrated by no where to do it that's private. I hasten to add the building will be used for other craft work but I reckon the forging part will be the one requiring the most planning for.

General metal working tools I am knee deep in since I sort of collect and restore them. I haven't got much specific to forgework yet, the bigger hammers and pincers but I'm keeping my eye out for them and will sort them sooner rather than later.

Yes defiantly a chimney, brick built rather than one of those inverted iron funnel jobs.

atb and thanks

Tom

Last edited:

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Ah I see. Well in that case the sky is the limit. My set up is all in a 6x8' shed, including a bench and gardening tools, though the actual forge sits outside when in use. You will want everything fairly close to your forge but you could have it all within 6' square. I mean, forge anvil etc.
brick chimney might be a bit limiting, once it's there - it's there for good. A metal flue might be more versatile should you ever want to shift things around.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE