forged scandi almost done

mark.177

Maker
Apr 21, 2014
Cornwall UK
been working on this one today, forged from 01 steel with hickory handle. still needs some work yet but thought id share some pics

Attachments

• hickscan1.jpg
    hickscan1.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 44
  • hickscan2.jpg
    hickscan2.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 50

mark.177

Maker
Apr 21, 2014
Cornwall UK
thanks, was keeping the materials simple till i get my hand in with this type of handle. im getting an increasing interest in old knives of the viking period and how they were made. obviously this isnt one of them but heading that way i think

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
thanks, was keeping the materials simple till i get my hand in with this type of handle. im getting an increasing interest in old knives of the viking period and how they were made. obviously this isnt one of them but heading that way i think

Apart from the wood, I would say you are there.
The Norse blades I have seen in museums all have different form on the blade. But generally speaking - the form of a classic Mora or a standard Finnish knife.
One thing most had was a lack of bolster or the end metal.
The larger ones, type seax, sometimes had that, but not always.

Handlematerial? As far as I remember, none had any traces left of the wood, I imagine they took the hardwood that was available locally. Oak, beach apple in the south, birch maybe alder further north?

I have seen several very small blades ( kitchen blades fir women?) that had a rounded tip.

I think your knife is great!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE