Forged knife(wip)

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.
I thought id do a work in progress thread on a knife im making for QdanT.Its along thelines of the Gransfors neck knife and im making it out of an old Sheffield file.
P1010752.jpg

Here ive forged in the choil(i think thats the word?)and started to draw out the tang/handle.

P1010753.jpg

A picture of 'kate' in action:D

P1010754.jpg

Drawing out the tang.

P1010758.jpg

Curl formed and twist put into the handle.

P1010760.jpg

Blade end forged.

P1010763.jpg

Nearly done.Just got some tidying up,bevel grinding, hardening and tempering to do..:thankyou:

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Looking sweet. Looks like it'll make a nice handy little knife.
Did you part bevel it with the hammers? Something I want to practice is that :)

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
So how come the handle sits into the back of the blade in one picture - but a good half inch away from it in the last (finished) picture?

did you make multiple knives?

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.
I dont know how to multi-quote so Addo, one of the ones i made today has hammered bevels.It makes it interesting trying to control the curve!Try it out sometime as its a good forging skill to learn.
And to everyone else thanks for the comments!

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
I dont know how to multi-quote so Addo, one of the ones i made today has hammered bevels.It makes it interesting trying to control the curve!Try it out sometime as its a good forging skill to learn.
And to everyone else thanks for the comments!

indeed it is. - You have made the blades differently to how I would have done it but they look quite good never the less.

keep up the good work

Andy

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
When I make blades like that I tend to forge the tang a bit thinner so that the twist is more even. you also have to be careful that the handle doesn't stick out too much or it can impair the back part of the blade when cutting.

as you said mate - many ways to skin a cat.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE