forged blade blanks

primitive man

Jun 18, 2008
west midlands
hi all have just finished some forged blade blanks that need grinding and hardening and tempering then they will be fitted with antler handles thanks to rutitley.

Picture080-1.jpg

Picture081-1.jpg

Picture082-1.jpg

many thanks alex

ForgeCorvus

Nomad
Oct 27, 2007
norfolk
Whats the steel? (or what was it before you recycled it)

It looks like you've got a lot of scale on them, remember your wire brush is your friend :)

Its nice to see someone going down the forged route rather then just grinding from solid, if you want any advice/help just ask

The second pic looks like it'll make a really useful blade......mind you the first ones not bad either, have you done this kind of thing before?

Barney

Settler
Aug 15, 2008
Lancashire
interesting isnt' making your own blade it, did you notice where the different styles originate from?

A nessmuck shape is pretty much the first shape the steel flows into after you start hammering.

this was my first attempt it was en47 so hard work

Attachments

• todays016.jpg
    todays016.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 181

ForgeCorvus

Nomad
Oct 27, 2007
norfolk
en45, great stuff, I used to make sword blades from it so I've had some practice heat-treating the stuff......I think I've got some knife sized bits around here, looks like another project in the offing

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
silcon mangenese spring steel, medium carbon content Bloody tough stuff, hence it being the minimum standard for reenactment weapons ;) Not the best edge holder out there, but it will still take a very good edge if you know what you are doign HT wise.

I tend to use it alot for hard-use tools such as axes, adze, big chisels, froes, etc. Also most of my large knives are en45 or similar for the same reason.

I yeah, I also use it for teaching students with coz it's pretty tolerant of poor working and heat treating temperatures. ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE